FORUMS: list search recent posts

Copy to Library

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
Copy to Library
on Apr 4, 2015 at 12:51:28 am

I have camera clips from a GH4 camera - 1080p H264 .MOV files. FCP X has to import these into the Library - "leave in place" is disabled. Why?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Francois Jean
Re: Copy to Library
on Apr 4, 2015 at 3:46:59 am

Why is FCPX seeing this file as if it is on a camera card or camera folder ?
Is there a linked metadata file in the same level as this file or could this file have some information in its header that presents it to FCPX as on a camera structure?

If none of these known situations are right recompress to a appropriate ProRes quality and import the result. This could need to be reported to Apple.

FRANCOIS

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 4, 2015 at 11:58:31 am

[Francois Jean] "Why is FCPX seeing this file as if it is on a camera card or camera folder ?"

That could be the issue. We had copied the card to a hard drive as is, maintaining the folder structure. The files within the folder are QT MOV. Although this doesn't seem to be the case with Canon 5D files.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 4, 2015 at 4:41:56 pm

Yes, that was it. Thanks. I ran a short test by pulling a few of the files out of their folder. These would then import "in place".

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 7, 2015 at 10:18:10 am

So Oliver, you just copied these files out to a folder outside of the camera card folder structure? I am running into the same thing. I really don't want to copy all this 4K stuff int a Library.

Scott

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 7, 2015 at 11:01:55 am

Or is there a way to simply change the folder structure without having to move clips? I am working with a boat-load of material.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 7, 2015 at 12:05:40 pm

Generally the procedure had been to copy the card with the intact folder structure to a hard drive for back-up. Then copy that drive to the SAN for editing. When you point X to the folder with the media, it wants to copy files into the library. Since the GH4 files I had were H264 in MOV wrappers anyway, I moved them out of the LUMIX folder, which breaks the camera card hierarchy. When I did this, X worked to leave the files in place without going through a copy routine.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 7, 2015 at 12:39:19 pm

Also, just like DSLR footage, try just dragging the files in the finder to your event/keyword collection. If your preferences are set to leave in place there should be no import. Then you can leave your folder structure intact.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 7, 2015 at 1:09:58 pm

Thanks Bret -

And I assume have "Leave in Place" checked in prefs?

sw

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 7, 2015 at 2:16:36 pm

In system prefs. Works for me for Canon 7D, t4i, etc. If I use import it wants to copy, but if I just drag it leaves in place. So yes, that's what I have checked in prefs under import. I also make keyword collections from folders and tags. That way if we've place the card structure within another folder say with the date or camera ops name, it comes across too. But you have to delete the DCIM keyword collections and such that are created. And ignore the warnings that some files can't be imported because they're thumbnail files and whatnot.

This idea also seems to work for mxf if you still have the mxf plugins installed after Apple has added native mxf functionality. If you leave the plugs installed you can import file by file and have it copy/repackage or just drag the folder in the finder and have it leave in place.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 7, 2015 at 3:20:34 pm

This works fine, thank you. I had Leave in Place and Create Proxy Media checked prefs and everything is happening as it should.

Now, of course, comes the task of syncing with no reference audio as, whoops, the audio guy didn't send any audio camera to either camera....and TOD code does not match. And the cameras stopped but audio guy just kept rolling...and the guy has a Cajun accent. Thank god he recorded audio-only on a separate recorder. Joy. It's billable.

:-)

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 7, 2015 at 3:23:43 pm

[Oliver Peters] "FCP X has to import these into the Library - "leave in place" is disabled. Why?"

Don't you think we should always have the option of "leave in place"? I do.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]