Dustin Novacek
Are these the right specs?
on Apr 2, 2015 at 5:08:39 pm

Are these the right specs for editing using FCPX, granted I use heavy graphics

Specs: Late 2013 iMac
2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel Iris Pro 1024 MB

The reason Im asking is because FCPX on my mac has been really slow, for a long time actually and I cant seem to figure out why

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Are these the right specs?
on Apr 2, 2015 at 5:35:48 pm

This is a "low end" machine for heavy FCP X use, especially with heavy graphics. Sorry to say that. More RAM, Nvidia GPU and Core i7 processor would be the way to go with X and an iMac or MBP. At this point, if you can bump up the RAM, that may help.

What's your drive situation like and what type of media?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 2, 2015 at 5:45:21 pm

I would highly suggest 32gigs or RAM. AT least 16. But I'm not sure you can even open that machine up for RAM. FCP X is a RAM hog. If you were only running FCP X and not doing heavy graphics which X caches up into RAM (especially motion fx and templates) then maybe 8 is doable.

An i7 processor would have helped, but too late for that. There's some tech in the i7 that FCP X can utilize.

FCP X also utilizes the GPU heavily. I'm not familiar with iris graphics but I assume it's not a dedicated graphics card, but motherboard graphics. It's only 1 gig as well. A dedicated 2 or better 4 gig GPU, an i7, and 32gigs of RAM is what I would call the standard setup for graphics and heavy editing. If you're going to jump to 4k and 3D you'd be better off with a MacPro tube.

I have the late 2012 3.4 i7 with 2gig GPU and 32gigs of RAM and I could use more power. FCP X still gets bogged down on that machine at times.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 2, 2015 at 6:02:48 pm

The imacs are not all that impossible to open up: the local PC fixit shop had no trouble opening my kid's imac to add RAM and replace the boot drive with a larger one. Only issue was fan speed regulation which was fixed with a freeware app.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 2, 2015 at 6:07:25 pm

But the GPU? That's a big one. But I'm betting with more RAM he could at least work in Proxy and Better Performance mode pretty handily.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 2, 2015 at 9:36:39 pm

The scuttlebut and opinions I've gleaned say the best investment is the maxed out GPU card, with all the RAM slots maxed out, rather than system RAM, since fcpX takes maximum advantage of that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]