FORUMS: list search recent posts

.MOV Audio works in QuickTime but not in Final Cut

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zachary Elwood
.MOV Audio works in QuickTime but not in Final Cut
on Mar 31, 2015 at 11:48:28 pm

I have FCP 10.0.6 and Quicktime 10.2. I have a bunch of QT videos sent to me for editing. In QuickTime, it says the format is: Sorenson Video 3 Decompressor, 1920 x 1080, MPEG Layer 3, Stereo, 48 kHz. (I just found out that it was an old version of Sorenson that was used to compress these; Sorenson 4.5.7., which might be an issue.) The audio and video play okay for some of these in QuickTime. Other files won't open in QT and I've been using VLC to view those.

In FCP, when I import the files, they don't have any audio present. The video inspector shows no audio associated with it, just video.

Someone had recommended trying a new Event and I tried this, to no avail.

Someone also recommended using Finder to encode the videos to ProRes; I don't know if that would work, but I do know that doing that creates a huge file, going from 3GB average file size to at least 30GB the one time I tried to do it.

Any ideas? Thanks.

My computer: MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: .MOV Audio works in QuickTime but not in Final Cut
on Apr 1, 2015 at 11:13:25 am

[Zachary Elwood] "Someone also recommended using Finder to encode the videos to ProRes; I don't know if that would work, but I do know that doing that creates a huge file, going from 3GB average file size to at least 30GB the one time I tried to do it. "
Here's the problem... those files are in a highly compressed, low-bitrate delivery format. This format was never meant to be edited. You should be editing the original source video. I assume you don't have access to the source which is why you're editing this low-bitrate file. Whoever recommended that you convert them to ProRes was giving you good advice. You need to get them back into a format that is appropriate for editing. Yes the files are big. Editing video requires lots of storage. Get yourself a 1TB G-Drive or even a WD Passport drive for $59 and convert the files to ProRes using Apple Compressor and then edit the ProRes files. This will also preserve what little quality is left in the highly compressed video and audio files that you currently have.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Zachary Elwood
on Apr 1, 2015 at 2:34:38 pm

Thanks John. For my purposes I don't need the highest quality. I'm creating some online tutorial courses with the footage, which is plenty high-quality for my purposes.

It seems strange to me that I can hear/view it in Quicktime and the audio isn't recognized in FCP. I've edited lots of Quicktime footage in FCP before. I just wonder if it's something related to the old version of Sorenson that was used to compress it.

If anyone has any practical advice on the best way to get all these files to work in FCP, I would be very thankful. I'd be willing to pay if someone was very knowledgeable on this subject and thought they could solve it.

Return to posts index

Mike Fitzsimmons
on Apr 1, 2015 at 5:59:08 pm

Can you convert to something else thru MPEGStreamclip?

Return to posts index

Zachary Elwood
on Apr 1, 2015 at 6:00:50 pm

I'm sure I probably can convert to another format; I was trying to avoid that just because of the time involved transcoding all of these files. I was wondering if it might be possible to get FCP to recognize them in another way, with a plug-in or something. But that doesn't seem possible from what I'm seeing.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Apr 2, 2015 at 1:58:41 pm

[Zachary Elwood] "I just wonder if it's something related to the old version of Sorenson that was used to compress it."
I'm guessing that might be the case as well. I don't know how you're going to edit them without transcoding them into something FCP X can edit.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]