FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX - Timeline duration does not match exported video duration

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Keto
FCPX - Timeline duration does not match exported video duration
on Mar 31, 2015 at 7:35:04 pm

I finished a multicam edit in FCPX, according to the time display it is 56:46;00. I exported the video uncompressed (Source - Apple ProRes422). The uncompressed file has a duration of 56:49;09. There are no slugs left over on the timeline, the uncompressed export appears to begin and end in the correct place, all the footage is intact. Is this some sort of issue with how frame rates are handled in FCPX?

Here are some additional details: Original footage was shot on 2 Canon C100's at 24p (23.976 fps?). The footage was not optimized on import. The FCPX project timeline is 23.98p. The uncompressed file is 23.976 fps.

What am I missing here? Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: FCPX - Timeline duration does not match exported video duration
on Mar 31, 2015 at 9:13:02 pm

Double click the last file. Is the audio hanging over by a few frames?

If you set a range start and end, does it happen again?

What does the export window say in the duration before you export?

Return to posts index

Eric Keto
on Mar 31, 2015 at 11:03:30 pm

Thanks for the response. The audio is flush with last frame of video. Unfortunately the range selector did not solve the issue. The export window time matches the duration in the timeline 56:46;00.

Return to posts index

Kevin Rease
on Apr 1, 2015 at 1:21:43 pm

Hi Eric, did you try cmd + a to select all? Once in a while you can get a stray frame of video or gap clip pushed down the timeline that you can't see. By selecting all that way, you can see it outlined in yellow. I hope this helps.

Kevin

Return to posts index

Eric Keto
on Apr 1, 2015 at 5:03:05 pm

Thanks but no leftover clips found when selecting all.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 1, 2015 at 5:07:39 pm

[Eric Keto] "Is this some sort of issue with how frame rates are handled in FCPX? "

Where are you getting the longer duration report, in quicktime, or when you reimport to FCPX?

I just ran a test, exported a 56:46:00 23.976 black generator.

Quicktime reports 56:49:09, but FCPX reports 56:46:00. I think this is a QT error.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Eric Keto
on Apr 1, 2015 at 6:03:47 pm

Thanks Jeremy, looks like both Quicktime and MPEG Streamclip are reading the file as 56:49:09. I'm starting to think that this might be a problem of drop frame editing vs non-drop frame. While this chart refers to footage that is 29.97 the info might still be applicable: https://documentation.apple.com/en/finalcutpro/usermanual/index.html#chapte...
You'll see that an hour long program turns out to be about 3.6 seconds longer in real time. Now the question, how do you get the FCPX timeline to display the drop frame timecode?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 1, 2015 at 9:31:27 pm
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Apr 1, 2015 at 10:16:03 pm

Technically, there's no drop frame standard for 23.976, that is to say 23.976 is always non-drop frame. Drop frame is usually reserved for 29.97 and 59.94. I think the fcpx time code track used different math than Quicktime used to. If you download mxf4mac player, and choose the "time code track" display it shows the correct time of 56:46, but 56:49 when showing "movie time".

If you need specific timing for 29.97 drop frame broadcast master, you would need to calculate what that length is and apply the difference in your 23.976 timeline.

Return to posts index

Eric Keto
on Apr 1, 2015 at 10:13:42 pm

Thanks Jeremy, makes sense.

Return to posts index

Ht Davis
on Apr 6, 2015 at 8:43:01 pm

23.98? Final cut is rounding the frame rate up? Not a good sign when your professional NLE shows non-professional numbers... But I guess that's the simplistic Apple way.

Have you tried other players? VLC for instance. IF it also shows the same timecodes, then you know there's some math problems here. Check your output coding. Make sure you are set for the right frame rate, otherwise it will calculate a new one for you. On top of that, apple is notorious for trying to correct the world... ...It may be that the program is trying to avoid clipping that last frame during playback, so it slides in a little padding. Check your configs and preferences.
Does the video end at the wrong timecode in QT (ie the last frame plays at a different timecode in qt than in final cut)? IF that is indeed the case, that would imply that there is either some retiming going on or FCP isn't displaying the correct timecode. I would suspect the 23.98 value to be the culprit. Timing that in a sequence and then outputting that to a 23.976 would give you a longer timecode in your output. Check preferences and see if there's a way to show the correct timecode (ie look for the settings for timecodes and find the one that rounds them, and turn that off). Other than that, Submit a bug report to apple.
Now you know why FCPX has lost favor with much of the mainstream community.

Return to posts index

Dean Sensui
on Nov 5, 2016 at 3:09:11 am

I found the answer in case no one else has.

Look at the list of events and projects in your library, then highlight the project. In the "Info" window there's a button at the bottom, "Modify Settings".

Click on that and a dropdown window will appear showing project name, starting timecode and . . . "Drop Frame". That option has to be checked "On" or the exported length of the QT file will be slightly off.

Dean Sensui -- Hawaii Goes Fishing

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]