FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP -> OMF with multi-track source clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Arenz
FCP -> OMF with multi-track source clips
on Mar 28, 2015 at 3:27:28 pm

I've been making OMFs from FCPX the round-about way using Xto7 and Adobe Audition. It works fine for most projects. For a recent project, we recorded the field audio using 6 track WAV files. For some reason, the stereo and mono clips show up fine but the multi-track clips are blank. There's a work-around, of course. I just split the tracks and match back when I'm ready to send to audio post, which is a pain. The simpler work-around is to pick two of the tracks I actually need (the other four were copies) and save stereo alternates with the same names and re-link the media. Still, it seems a little odd to have to go through all of this.

There is an app to turn FCP7 XML files to AAF files and a separate app to turn that AAF into an OMF file, burt I have no information on whether it will work any better for multitrack source clips.

Has anyone else run into this?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: FCP -> OMF with multi-track source clips
on Mar 28, 2015 at 4:56:30 pm

How are the multi-channel WAV files integrated into the FCP X edit? As synchronized clips? If so, how were these created?

If the files are somehow embedded, you might try to "break clip items apart" before creating the XML. I've had some issues with this so I can't guarantee that X2Pro will create AAFs without an issue. I know sometimes that translated XMLs don't properly handle this info.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Mark Arenz
on Mar 28, 2015 at 5:23:05 pm

Thanks. That's helpful. My goal is to find a way to make the process fast and repeatable, so rather than copy the sequence (project) to make adjustments to make it OMF-friendly seems less tenable than editing the clips in that mode all along so when I get last minute change requests, I'm not up against it. It depends on the project, of course.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 28, 2015 at 6:01:53 pm
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Mar 28, 2015 at 6:06:04 pm

Audition can use xml. Have you tried import it the results of the xto7 xml straight in to audition?

Oops, reread and think that's probably what you're doing. Have you tried setting all your Multitrack clips to mono in X before exporting the fcpxml?

Return to posts index

Mark Arenz
on Mar 28, 2015 at 6:47:19 pm

I've tried it before and it comes through with empty clips. If I do it with stereo clips it works fine. I'll try un-nesting the multi-channel clips and see if that works.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 28, 2015 at 6:54:05 pm

Did you originally create these as synchronized clips using the recommended FCP X syncing method or something else?

In the case of the problem I had, it required that I break items apart and then further match-frame to the source clip and edit that back into place.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Mark Arenz
on Mar 30, 2015 at 12:21:23 pm

All the sync'd clips are made with the basic Clips -> Synchronize Clips method.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 30, 2015 at 3:13:47 pm

So, I had to be sure because I know I have done this before, but I just tried this method, and it worked.

Each clip in FCPX had 4 channels, and the camera file had 8 channels, which means 12 total possible channels on each clip.

I enabled everything (all channels, camera and sync audio), exported an FCPXML, translated to XML with all Roles and options on, and imported to Audition.

Here's the resulting timeline (every clip has 12 channels). Some of the flies are reading as offline because they are embedded in MXF and apparently, Audition can't handle them, maybe you are having a similar issue?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]