FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dvd vs prores 422, screening on a tv

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Morten Slemdal
Dvd vs prores 422, screening on a tv
on Mar 26, 2015 at 4:56:55 am

Hi!
I will screen my 20 minutes video (old footage 720x576) on a tv. Should I play it directly from my mac (prores 422) or burn it to a dvd? The dvd option will make a much smaller file, but there might be advantages using dvd format? Do you usually just use the built in share to dvd in fcpx?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Dvd vs prores 422, screening on a tv
on Mar 26, 2015 at 6:28:36 am

H.264 would be my choice. Only time I ever touch anything DVD anymore is when an actual DVD is specifically required.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Morten Slemdal
on Mar 26, 2015 at 6:35:42 am

And that's working good when just hooking up the Mac with hdmi cable to tv. Just remember someone saying something about this kind of screening, but just can't remember what was said exactly.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Mar 26, 2015 at 1:43:45 pm

Some DVD players do a decent job of smoothing out the anomalies from a DVD burn.
If you play off your system using a mirror option onto a TV you might see all that crap.
Now what kind of display is the question.
Is it an old CRT or LCD?

Return to posts index

Morten Slemdal
on Mar 26, 2015 at 2:27:37 pm

LCD

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 26, 2015 at 8:09:17 pm

A DVD is MPEG2 standard def, period. A feed from a laptop using an h.264 file can be high def; I think that's a huge improvement at the cost of a little convenience.

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Mar 27, 2015 at 1:58:01 pm

[Morten Slemdal] "I will screen my 20 minutes video (old footage 720x576) on a tv. Should I play it directly from my mac (prores 422) or burn it to a dvd? "

While you can't change the standard-def nature of the older material, I suggest evaluating whether (given the years of progress) you could polish it in post to look better.

This needn't take lots of time. At least looking at each clip to ensure the levels (via video scope), white balance, audio, sharpening and stabilization are OK.

Was the source 576i? Either way you want that handled properly when rendering the final output, so avoid ugly combing artifacts.

Also make sure the final output as played on the final display device is optimized to the degree possible re aspect ratio. If it's 4:3 material then pillar boxing on a 16:9 display is unavoidable. If it's 16:9 anamorphic, then make sure the final file on the final playback device displays as intended. You don't want a letterboxed, squeezed or cropped image. Allow plenty of time to examine and fix this, as these things always seem to rear their ugly head when you're under a tight schedule.

In general I'd recommend just playing from a digital device like a MacBook as it avoids the complication of burning a DVD and worrying about how various playback devices might handle that. E.g, there are old and new DVD players, hardware and software players, some do interlacing some don't, some do motion compensation and some don't, etc. However even with HDMI playback from a MacBook, you must verify the audio path is workable and the playback chain handles it OK.

In similar situations, as a contingency I usually take a wired/wireless portable speaker like a Jawbone Big Jambox in case the house sound system has problems.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]