FORUMS: list search recent posts

C100 Wide DR and FCP X LUT?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bret Williams
C100 Wide DR and FCP X LUT?
on Mar 25, 2015 at 3:23:00 pm

I've got some footage shot with the C100 in WDR mode. Has that flat washed out look and was wondering what LUT should be applied? Canon has a LUT for WDR but it won't install into CGC's LUT utility because it's not a 3D .cube LUT.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
Re: C100 Wide DR and FCP X LUT?
on Mar 26, 2015 at 7:01:17 pm

Hey Bret,

I installed a handful of converted Canon LUTs the other day (.cube format) - have you found what you need? If not, I can forward these to you.

Doug

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 26, 2015 at 7:23:32 pm

That'd be great! can you email to bretwilliams at mac dot com? It really isn't imperative, but I'm just testing this stuff out since the camera op shot wide dr. Should Wide DR look flat? The description doesn't sound like it. The only LUT that works so far is 3 Strip from CGC in either LUT utility or the new ColorFinale.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 26, 2015 at 7:25:09 pm

I guess you could also post them here as a .zip in case anyone else needs them in the future and then they won't bug ya for them. :)

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Mar 26, 2015 at 7:37:54 pm

Maybe best to post the link where I found 'em! :^)

Download link and descriptions here:

http://blog.abelcine.com/2013/12/04/canon-luts-for-the-c100-c300-and-c500/

I must say, quite an eye-opener.

I'm working on a project that was shot with a C300 and the footage looked like it needed help... then I found Pixel Film's LUT Loader (free plugin for FCPX) and went looking for the .cube formats to try out.

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 26, 2015 at 7:39:36 pm

I'll check it out. Yeah, Color Graiding Central's LUT utility was free for awhile. That's when I got it.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 26, 2015 at 7:59:36 pm

Well now I'm confused. The DP said he shot it WideDR. Didn't mention FULL or LEGAL. But all these LUTs are to go FROM Clog TO WideDR. I would think I need a LUT to go FROM WideDR to say REC709 or Video. Either he didn't shoot it WideDR (which apparently doesn't require a LUT) or he shot it WideDR, but incorrectly exposed. It's extremely low saturation, very little blacks, nothing is blown out, yet highlights are pushing 100. Low contrast.

Return to posts index

Roger Stoneburner
on Jul 15, 2015 at 4:26:47 pm

Hey Brett,

You don't need a LUT to "fix" footage shot in Wide DR. It's a fairly simple color correction I do all the time. When shooting, all you really need to do in order to verify all your color info is in the frame, is open the waveform and ensure your not clipping or dropping below 0. If so, you can bring the detail back in post. So, if your shooter did that, you should be good to go.

Open your clip and drop a color correction filter on it. Open your luma wave form window. Go to your exposure tab (FCPX), and bring down the shadows to barely touch the 0 line. Bring highlights up to barely touch 100. Adjust mid-tones as needed. I sometimes bump saturation up a bit if needed.

That should get rid of all the flat look.

Here's a great tutorial:
http://dslrvideoshooter.com/my-color-correction-workflow/

You probably have already fixed it by now either way.

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Jul 15, 2015 at 6:37:02 pm

Really helpful tutorial.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]