FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting HDV as Full HD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexander Wolf
Exporting HDV as Full HD
on Mar 25, 2015 at 12:44:58 pm

I have some HDV footage (1440 x 1080, 25p) I want to export as photo jpeg 1920 x 1080, 25p without black bars on the top and bottom.

I remember HDV footage playing back as full HD without bars back in the days of FCP 7 when you'd tick 'anamorphic' and something magical would happen.

I've created a 1080p project, exported as photojpeg 1920 x 1080 and get black bars at the top and bottom. I also created a 720 x 576 anamorphic project and get black bars all around...

There are no options for creating a 1440 x 1080 anamorphic project.

Anyone know how to do this in FCP X?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Exporting HDV as Full HD
on Mar 25, 2015 at 1:12:18 pm

There are no anamorphic HD profiles. That's there are different formats, flavors, and pixel ratios but they are all interpreted as 16:9. You don't ever check the anamorphic box on HD footage or an HD sequence. You should be working in either a 1920x1080 sequence or a 1280x720 sequence. The NLE recognizes that regardless of the pixel dimensions whether it be 1440x1080 HDV or 1280x1920 DVCProHD or even 960x720 DVCProHD that they are all 16:9 formats and treats them as such by applying the correct distortion and scale in its interpolation of the footage. They all fill the frame in a 1920x1080 sequence. If your HDV isn't filling the frame you'll need to play with the spatial controls in the inspector. Should be set to fit.

Simply export from that sequence as 1080p and you'll have a 1080p export with no bars.

Return to posts index

Alexander Wolf
on Mar 25, 2015 at 1:33:00 pm

Thanks, Bret, for taking the time to answer my question. I have done everything as I described- which is the same as you suggested- but unfortunately it doesn't fill the frame.

But because of your mentioning it, I just tried setting it to 'fill' as opposed to (standard) 'fit' and at least I am not cropping my image horizontally. So that's one step up from upscaling! But I remember that the pixels in anamorphic were 'decompressed' - for lack of better word- to turn into a sort of 1920 x 1080. Now I'm just stretching.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 25, 2015 at 3:05:10 pm

Like I said, anamorphic isn't a term used for HD footage. And when you do actual anamorphic, the pixels aren't "compressed". They're squeezed into a smaller amount of horizontal pixels. There's no magically getting that definition back. The pixels are intact being stretched horizontally to fill the frame. Whether the software does it in the background or you do it by scaling the footage on you X axis. But the FILL function in spatial conform will work for you perfectly in this regard as it seems for some reason X isn't interpreting your 1440x1080 footage as 16:9. There are many flavors of 16:9 HD. Just because a pixel isn't square 1:1 ratio doesn't mean it's anamorphic. Regular 720x480 SD video wasn't square either. Consider it semantics if you want, but for example in FCP legacy you WOULD NOT check the anamorphic check box for 1440x1080 media. FCP 7 recognized it as HDV 16:9 media natively. Same goes for an HDV sequence. If you draw a square or a wipe, the app makes the adjustment in the background.

Can you take a look at your sequence settings (cmd+J then click modify settings in the inspector). Should be 1920x1080. And a look at your media settings in the inspector too. Could be X doesn't recognize PAL HDV media correctly, in which case applying the "fill" spatial interpolation forces it to do what it should in this case. If it were not 16:9 media, it would be stretching it out of correct proportion.

Return to posts index

Alexander Wolf
on Mar 25, 2015 at 4:09:00 pm

Thanks for opening the door, Bret. All the settings are as should be. In my definition 'squeezed into' is also a form of compression ;-) albeit not in the same manner as video compression nowadays... But, as you said, that's all a matter of semantics.

I'm pretty happy with this result even though everything looks soft compared to the 4K files I'm now used to. It's hard to judge!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 25, 2015 at 4:12:58 pm

Sure HDV is quite compressed from the get go, but it shouldn't really look soft at 100%. You playing back better quality or better performance setting? Proxies? Why are you exporting PhotoJpeg?

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Mar 25, 2015 at 5:40:41 pm
Last Edited By Jeff Kirkland on Mar 25, 2015 at 5:41:55 pm

Not sure what's going on with the footage in this case but I worked with some HDV footage a couple of weeks ago in a 1080p project and it filled the frame as expected. I'm wondering if there is an issue in the way the footage was captured?

My only thought would be to try the anamorphic override checkbox in the info panel and see if that makes a difference.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Alexander Wolf
on Mar 26, 2015 at 1:16:11 pm

It was PAL anamorphic, not HDV!! I forgot you could even shoot SD with the Z1... At some point I saw 1440 x 1080 and assumed I was working with HDV footage. That explains it. Sorry for the confusion!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]