FORUMS: list search recent posts

Synchronised clips not created as compound clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Harris
Synchronised clips not created as compound clips
on Mar 22, 2015 at 9:38:30 am

Hi I'm trying to do a very basic synchronisation exercise with audio/video recorded on a Nikon D750 & separate audio recorded on a Zoom H4N. I've imported both the footage & audio into FCP X & both look fine (I can skim through them, drag them onto the timeline etc). If I then select both clips & select 'synchronise clips' (using audio) however the resulting synchronized clip is not showing as a compound clip. On the surface, things look OK in the browser - I seem to have video and two audio sources in the inspector window but if I then try & drag it to the timeline I get a black window where the video content should be & attached audio (that does allow me to choose either the original or Zoom audio by checking/unchecking the source in the Inspector).

It seems like FC is doing the synchronization correctly but just not doing the final step of creating a compound clip.

Any ideas what i'm doing wrong???

(using the latest version of FCP X, latest version of Yosemite & a new 5K iMac)

Thanks

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Synchronised clips not created as compound clips
on Mar 22, 2015 at 12:57:26 pm

If the audio is longer than the video, you will have no video until the camera started rolling.

Return to posts index

John Harris
on Mar 22, 2015 at 5:03:58 pm

Hi Jeremy thanks for the post but no that's not it - there's a bit of audio-only at the start but the vast majority of the clip has both audio & video & FC is not displaying any video for the entire clip in the timeline

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 22, 2015 at 6:25:40 pm

Restart the machine and see if the thumbnails populate.

If not, trash your cache, restart, and try again.

Return to posts index

John Harris
on Mar 23, 2015 at 8:29:52 am

Hi Jeremy, did as you suggested but no luck. Can you tell me how I go about trashing the cache? Thanks

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 23, 2015 at 1:05:44 pm

Sure.

But first, open the synchronized clip in timeline by right clicking and choosing open in timeline.

What do you see?

If your cache is stored outside the library, find the folder, find the corresponding cache bundle and throw it in trash and empty it.

Alternatively, you can select the library in the FCPX browser and choose File > Delete Generated Library files.

Click the render files and all, uncheck everything else.

Return to posts index

John Harris
on Mar 23, 2015 at 2:26:34 pm

Hi Jeremy, I've deleted all the render files as you suggested but I think there's something fundamentally screwed with my sync'd clips.

I've rebooted the machine, delete the original sync'd clip & gone back to basics. I've checked the source clips to make sure there is nothing untoward with them & everything looks fine - I'm able to drag both the audio and video to the timeline & they both play OK & the video has thumbnails. From that point I created a new sync'd clip but had exactly the same issue as before.

The new clip has 'synchronized clip' at the end of the name & if I right click and open in timeline, I can see the external audio & and the Nikon clips stacked on top of each other

However if I drag this clip to the timeline the video part has no thumbnails and more importantly it doesn't play either (the audio plays OK but the image in the viewer remains static). I have both audio and video skimming turned on and the audio skimming works fine but the image in the viewer is static and only changes (to another still image) if I click into the clip in the timeline. I've now tried to do the same thing with two new clips and get exactly the same behaviour.

As a workaround I've managed to get over the problem by opening the sync'd clip in the timeline and then manually creating a compound clip. I can then drag this into the timeline & everything behaves as expected.

This exercise was meant to be a test before going on to shoot some interviews where I'll need to use this technique. My workaround above seems to work OK but I hate it when stuff doesn't work as it should do!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 23, 2015 at 3:05:17 pm

Hi, John.

That doesn't seem quite right. I am working on a project now that is full of synch'd clips and it's working very well.

I still think this is a thumbnail problem.

Is the cache stored inside or outside of your library?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

John Harris
on Mar 23, 2015 at 4:56:33 pm

Hi Jeremy, I think everything's inside FCP (I check the optimise media box on import). Would love to get this sorted as I have just created a brand new event, reimported the media, sync'd them again and got the same result so no idea what's going on!

Thanks
John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]