FORUMS: list search recent posts

CDL from Resolve?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
john davidson
CDL from Resolve?
on Mar 19, 2015 at 5:20:29 pm

Hello I am trying to find out if anyone has loaded a CDL from DaVinci Resolve into FCPX? I realize this is the reverse of the norm. But according to DaVinci Resolve this is a universal file with basic color grades.

Thank you,
John

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: CDL from Resolve?
on Mar 20, 2015 at 12:40:44 am

Are you trying to use the CDL values to set color settings inside FCP X? I'm not sure that works. A CDL is basically an EDL with RGB power/slope/offset values in the comments field, if I'm not mistaken.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

john davidson
on Mar 20, 2015 at 4:51:05 pm

Hello Oliver, that is correct it is an EDL with the RGB info and I am trying to get FCP-X to read it. It is basic grading parameters. I know that if you generate one correctly and bring it into Resolve it works. DaVinci is under the impression that FCP-X will read the info, not Final Cut 7. I also am getting feedback from Premiere that it won't read it. It would be great if this so called universal format would be read, since they can generate them. What is the point then?

Thank you & frustrated.....

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 20, 2015 at 5:02:20 pm

A CDL uses RGB values for slope/offset/power, plus saturation. This can be an EDL or an XML. I can generate XMLs with CDL values from a number of applications.

However, in order to read and use them, that capability has to be part of the application's video engine or there has to be a third-party plug-in that can read the values and apply color correction accordingly. I don't believe that exists in either FCP X or Premiere Pro.

I believe they may be able to include the information as metadata that can be passed through as metadata text, but not to actually use it for color correction. I'd love to hear otherwise, but I just don't think it's the case.

What was DaVinci's basis for believing this and telling you that FCP X could?

Honestly, I've rarely if ever seen one set of color correction data be transferred to another with any degree of accuracy using AAF, XML, or any other process. That's why ACES has got everyone excited. It seems to me that if DaVinci could pass CDL values back to FCP X via FCPXML, then there'd be no reason for a roundtrip with baked-in media.

What goal are you trying to achieve? Maybe there's another way to get there.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

john davidson
on Mar 20, 2015 at 6:23:49 pm

Hello Oliver,

Thanks for all the info. It was my understanding that it would be fairly universal as it is basic color changes, no curves, windows or secondary. It was just numbers as described in this article in The American society of Cinematographers,

http://www.theasc.com/ac_magazine/September2009/CASPart2/page4.php

As I mentioned it is kind of a reversal of the way to do things. But the reason is that I have a client that is shooting quite a lot of footage that would like to have it all pretty much best lighted foe client satisfaction purposes. But doesn't wanted it all rendered out. Since I mainly use Resolve and it claims that the CDL will do basic color grades and is readable, I thought an easy solution. I would get a drive with the footage and an XML, load it in best light and the export a CDL and send back the drive. My client would load back in the media and it would now reflect the basic color changes. Now it looks like to 2 options I have are to send him back a Resolve project and he will have to render out the clips he needs or in the case of RED footage do all the grading in RED CINE X Pro and save it in the Metadata. Thank you again. John

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 20, 2015 at 12:42:15 am

I know the FCPXML can carry that information, but I do believe it is ignored upon import.

Glue Tools was working on an importer, but I don't know what happened to it.

Return to posts index

john davidson
on Mar 20, 2015 at 4:43:56 pm

Hello Jeremy, I thought that exporting it as an FCPXML might be better for Final Cut, but not sure of the purpose of the CDL if nothing will accept it. I know that Resolve will take it in and read it. Why won't Final Cut or Premiere? I tried Glue Tools and they responded that they actually had a tool that dealt with it but nobody purchased it so they stopped.

Thank you,
John

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 20, 2015 at 5:14:22 pm

I'd guess there's so much Resolve specific data in the CDL that it's only intended for sharing between Resolve operators. The round trip workflow with FCPX is edit in X, grade in Resolve and render and then replace media in X with new graded media from Resolve and export with final sound track (including possible sidetrip to ProTools). The CDL would not come back to X.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Mar 23, 2015 at 6:22:26 pm

[Noah Kadner] "I'd guess there's so much Resolve specific data in the CDL that it's only intended for sharing between Resolve operators."

I don't think that's the case. A CDL is just RGB slope/power/offset/saturation (10 points of data). It's more likely that FCPX just doesn't read and apply the information (but it may embed it and pass it on via XML).

I use it with Avid the way John is wanting to with FCPX. I do a quick one light on the footage in Resolve and spit out an ALE with CDL information. I import that into Avid and it merges with the clips in my bin and applies the CDL on a per clip basis (this working on v7 and up, I think).

It's simple metadata and there shouldn't be anything Resolve specific about it. I wish Premiere and FCPX would both support it. It's a pretty slick little workflow.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 23, 2015 at 6:34:48 pm

[Michael Hancock] "It's simple metadata and there shouldn't be anything Resolve specific about it. I wish Premiere and FCPX would both support it. It's a pretty slick little workflow."

Me too.

Return to posts index

john davidson
on Mar 23, 2015 at 6:34:57 pm

Hello Michael, thanks for the respond. Yes it is for very simple grading and will not support curves or power windows. Good to know about Avid though.

I also wish Premiere & Final Cut would jump on board.

Thank you.
John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]