FORUMS: list search recent posts

Considering 5k iMac

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Smith
Considering 5k iMac
on Mar 19, 2015 at 10:33:46 am

Seems great and I've heard good reports on using it with Final Cut Pro X, but I see it has no HDMI port. I'll ask, but it appears that you can't connect a timeline output monitor. Can someone confirm? Or, is there a workaround? I'm trying to get my wife's cheap company to get her a Final Cut setup and I know for certain they won't go for a new Mac Pro like I have. It seems the only alternative is a tricked-out MacBook Pro.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Re: Considering 5k iMac
on Mar 19, 2015 at 3:37:31 pm

Just get an Belkin thunderbolt 2.0 hub with hdmi out. It supports 4k over the hdmi port. My 5k retina pushes 4k via that hdmi as well as a second Cinema Display over thunderbolt.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Mar 19, 2015 at 4:10:59 pm

That's the answer I was looking for Joh! Thank you.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 19, 2015 at 7:07:23 pm

Wouldn't a better solution be to get an actual video monitoring device? The HDMI is just an extended desktop that FCP has the ability to utilize. It still isn't something you'd use for color critical situations. The gamma is a bit off in my experience as well.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Mar 19, 2015 at 10:51:44 pm

Can also get a black magic mini monitor to layer into it when he wants to use a 10bit SDI preview via HD.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 19, 2015 at 11:02:37 pm

That would be my first suggestion.

I'd also get a $15 USB 3 hub on Amazon so you don't have to reach around back to plug in portable drives, iPhones, thumb drives, etc. Also a cheap usb3 to esata adapter plus a FW800 adapter. That's my only annoyance with the 2 TB ports- when a client brings a FW800 drive I have to unplug the BMD Ultrastudio express. But it's not that bad. I have 1 TB driving the Pegasus, and the second computer monitor is daisy chained to that.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Mar 19, 2015 at 11:09:31 pm
Last Edited By John Davidson on Mar 19, 2015 at 11:10:57 pm

You need to fire those FW800 clients Brett. :)

The Belkin has a USB hub built in as well as 1 Thunderbolt out, 1 thunderbolt in - and a front loading USB3 port as well.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 20, 2015 at 12:33:49 am

You want to spend the extra cash, feel free. But it certainly costs more to buy an overpriced hub plus a BMD device.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Mar 20, 2015 at 1:05:59 am

After $5000, is $299 that overwhelming? You get 3 extra USB3 ports, thunderbolt 2 passthrough, an extra ethernet, HDMI 4k output, plus two extra audio jacks. It doesn't run hot and hasn't got a huge footprint. It's nice to be able to see the detail of my 4K media when I want it on the big screen. When I'm working with 1080 projects the Blackmagic mini monitor does the job fine.

It's not like there are a lot of ways to get 4k playback out of a 5k iMac without spending quite a bit more than $500, you know?

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Mar 20, 2015 at 1:10:07 am

Derp. I guess there's this....

http://store.apple.com/us/product/HFQL2VC/A/moshi-mini-displayport-to-hdmi-...

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 20, 2015 at 1:26:05 am

$299? Wow I was basing my suggestions thinking you were talking about the lesser $150 one. Yeah, money is money. And if the OP needed 4k output, then sure it might surpass the $135 true video BMD mini monitor. But Don didn't mention any need of 4k output. Only that it's for his wife's "cheap" company. I doubt they're shooting 4k. Save the $299 to buy an extra computer monitor. Not a hub that to me, has very little value. They likely don't need a single ethernet more less two. Extra usb 3 ports are kinda silly since you can buy bigger usb3 hubs for next to nothing. And the HDMI is a good choice if you need to see full resolution 4k, but an expensive way to see non-standard video output. For me, all the hub is good for is an extra Thunderbolt port or two. But I don't even need that with two monitors, a BMD device and a Pegasus raid.

Except for when those clients bring the FW800 drives. Usually they have a USB 2 port as well, and I bill 'em by the hour to copy over their files, so...

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Mar 20, 2015 at 10:42:45 am

The big question is, for either the BMD Mini Monitor or the Belkin hub, is does FCPX recognize either as a monitoring output? I mean, is either or both available as an option for video monitoring in the preferences and when you go to select A/V Output under the Window menu, is your timeline video routed to either device?

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Mar 20, 2015 at 3:11:23 pm

[Don Smith] "The big question is, for either the BMD Mini Monitor or the Belkin hub, is does FCPX recognize either as a monitoring output? I mean, is either or both available as an option for video monitoring in the preferences and when you go to select A/V Output under the Window menu, is your timeline video routed to either device?"

Actually both do. The BMD will be an AV output device with a 1080p maximum resolution. The Belkin HDMI port is treated as a second display, which you can assign to be the primary window for Events or Viewers, depending on your preference. When I use it in conjunction with the Thunderbolt display, I either have my big monitor as a 3rd display or a dedicated AV Output.

That help?

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Mar 24, 2015 at 4:48:05 pm

Getting back to the big question; Is the 5k iMac, maxed out, really good for editing Final Cut Pro X? I ask because my wife is forced to work on a PC using Premiere at work and its driving her crazy. She needs a new computer and the small company she works for is tight-fisted on money. So, if I suggest they give her a 5k iMac (maxed out) will I be making a good recommendation? I mean, as good as I can without suggestion they spend the money on a Mac Pro?

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Mar 24, 2015 at 4:57:23 pm

[Don Smith] "Is the 5k iMac, maxed out, really good for editing Final Cut Pro X? "

Yep! It's a great mac. No complaints.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]