FORUMS: list search recent posts

Orphaned audio

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Orphaned audio
on Mar 16, 2015 at 7:20:05 pm

My fellow editors like to complain about not being able to re-synch an audio clip in fcpx after it has become detached from it's associated audio clip. Can anybody describe an easy way to re-synch such an "orphaned" clip, so I can put these kids in their place?

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Re: Orphaned audio
on Mar 16, 2015 at 7:55:59 pm

Select the video clip. Match frame - Shift F. It'll pull up the clip in the browser with the same in's and out's. Then, while making sure all audio is turned ON on the source clip, Replace from Start (Option+r). From this point you can use the inspector to turn off and on whatever audio you keep.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 16, 2015 at 9:54:35 pm

And quit orphaning audio. :) I've yet to need to do that.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 16, 2015 at 10:56:12 pm

[Bret Williams] "And quit orphaning audio."

It actually happens automatically at times. For example, in multicam sequences with split edits (L-cuts, J-cuts), sometimes when you extract sections of the timeline, the result can leave you with detached audio for portions of the sequence. Even when that's a segment with sync picture. There are also conditions when you "overwrite to timeline" that some audio becomes detached.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 17, 2015 at 4:57:36 pm

Thanks to all. These guys I work with have never taken a formal training course on fcpx, they just sort of guess and press their way thru it, maybe screen a few tutorials on youtube, and I hear a lot of bitching that "it can't do this" or "It won't do that" and much drama about wanting tracked timelines like in 7, because they can't handle it when audio moves when video is re-positioned, blah,blah, blah.... And they won;t go buy a formal training course, because they feel the office should supply it to them. I went ahead and bought Jordan's course and found it made a lot of sense. I've shared some chapters with the guys, just to reduce the whining. Truth is, they don't know/understand x even as they use it daily. It's nice to be able to use your tips to show them something they didn't know, whenever the complaining gets too strident. They keep telling me, " Don't tell me how to work it, I've owned this software longer than you've been using it!". Well, that maybe true, but if you don't even know what Roles or Auditions are, I'd say owning is not always the same as knowing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]