Best GPU upgrade for the 4K world

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benjamin Gerstein
Best GPU upgrade for the 4K world
on Mar 16, 2015 at 3:30:17 pm
Last Edited By Benjamin Gerstein on Mar 16, 2015 at 3:31:35 pm

Hello all

Lots of my editing work is going 4K and so I would like to make the step into native resolution. I will go ahead and buy myself a new Mac Pro but probably not till the summer when hopefully the next generation will be released. In the interim period I would like to upgrade the GPU on my current mid 2010 mac pro so that it can display 4K. I will have this monitor

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=2...

I edit mostly on FCP X and Adobe Premiere Pro CC but also ( though less often now) on Avid

Which is the best mac GPU unit out there at the moment? I am based in the UK and would like to spend around £500.

Many thanks

Benjamino4

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: Best GPU upgrade for the 4K world
on Mar 16, 2015 at 4:53:28 pm

Most of our Mac Pro 2012 and older are matched with Quadro 4000s.
Some are paired with the stock AMD and works great with both FCPX and Adobe CC.
The older Resolve station had three Quadro 4000s in a CUBIX XPANDER.

With new Mac Pro, we put that station to rest.

Not running Resolve as well as the previous but current workflow doesn't require the GPU power for Resolve.

Return to posts index

Benjamin Gerstein
Re: Best GPU upgrade for the 4K world
on Mar 18, 2015 at 8:15:47 pm

Thanks for the response Eric

I have found a couple of those for sale and they come in just above what I was hoping to spend. Also came across the GTX 680 mac edition for a little cheaper. Anyone out there have any opinion which is better?

Was also very intrigued by the GTX 980 and have been reading reviews and comparison on barefeat.com

I know flashed versions are available from macvidcards.com but does anyone know of an equivalent in the UK? Or somewhere/someone that will take a GTX 980 and flash it? Not something I would be confident doing

Many thanks

Benjamino4

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]