FORUMS: list search recent posts

Having a library on more than one external drive

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vidar Vikingsson
Having a library on more than one external drive
on Mar 14, 2015 at 3:03:39 am

I have a library residing on an external drive that has become filled up. Instead of giving the option of adding an external drive to the library, FCP X demands that I somehow make space on the first drive that the library was residing on. This wasn’t a problem in FCP legacy, the capture scratch could be all over the place. Is that no longer the case as regards libraries?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Having a library on more than one external drive
on Mar 14, 2015 at 1:46:27 pm

The library is the equiValent of the legacy project file. Your media can reside across any number of drives. Different than legacy but yet the same. And much better managed for sure.

Return to posts index

Vidar Vikingsson
on Mar 14, 2015 at 2:36:15 pm

So how do I tell FCPX to add an external drive to a library when asked to free up space on the first drive?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 14, 2015 at 2:43:56 pm

If you go to the library inspector all should be clear. But essentially, pick a drive to start putting your optimized/proxies and renders etc on. If your adding more video assets, they be optimized to that folder. And when importing media you can of course choose to just "leave in place" so if you aren't optimizing or making proxies, the media lives in whatever drive you import it from. Only aliases are created in the library drive. If you want to move media to a different drive you can use the consolidate function.

Return to posts index

Vidar Vikingsson
on Mar 14, 2015 at 3:27:00 pm

So if I want renders to occupy a folder on another drive than the original one, I only need to go to the Library Inspector, click Modify Settings for Storage Locations and choose another folder for Media? - Sorry if I’m being uncomprehending here, but somehow the System Settings in Legacy seemed more clear when choosing another scratch disk.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 14, 2015 at 5:18:27 pm

Sorry I'm not in front of a system for specifics, but yes. However renders might go in the library mo matter what. But if you're running out of drive space from renders you can delete those. You could also simply move the library itself to another drive.

But yes you can consolidate your media to another drive, you can leave media in place when you import. Capture scratch settings was a bit of a different beast as they were program sprlecific. Which was quite the error prone concept. If you didn't manually pay attention you could capture and or render your files to another project or drive than intended.

In X, you can't access media from another library like media in another project in 7. Media must be in the library you're working in. Even if it's just an alias to external media. And there are quite a number of safeguards to keep another library from accidentally mismanaging your library. Like when you consolidate footage INTO your library, it copies because another library could be accessing that same externL media. But when you consolidate media OUT of your library it moves the files because no other library could have had access to the media within your library. Nothings perfect of course. Someone can always wreak havoc in the finder.

I don't have the links in front of me but they're some great links to articles about the 10.1.x media management posted here daily. Maybe someone can share those. Xs media management requires less knowledge to use on a basic level as it will take care of itself. But as you've found when you need to get into some more advanced features, just like In legacy, you have to know your stuff.

Return to posts index

Vidar Vikingsson
on Mar 14, 2015 at 5:48:21 pm

Thanks a lot for your help

Return to posts index

Tom Brooks
on Mar 15, 2015 at 1:51:26 pm

I never thought about it before, but FCX allows sort of an infinite expansion of your media storage for a library. When you Modify Settings for storage location, note that it tells you, "Newly imported or generated media, cache files, and library backups will be stored in the locations you choose. Existing media and backup files remain in their original locations."

So, when one storage location becomes full, you can specify another one, which will contain all NEW media, from that point in time, forward. As each drive fills up, add another and "Modify Settings." At the end of the job, you might add one more big drive and "Consolidate" the whole job onto it.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Mar 16, 2015 at 4:59:24 pm

Tom on the nose with this one.

With my RED projects I have multiple SAS RAIDs and spread the wealth of Events/Libraries using "Leave files in place" option during Import.

Return to posts index

Vidar Vikingsson
on Mar 16, 2015 at 5:50:01 pm

I did have an idea of how big my media files would be and “left them in place.” What I forgot to take into account was the size of the render files filling up the drive and giving me no option of putting theme elsewhere.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Mar 16, 2015 at 6:04:05 pm

You can physically move your Libraries anywhere on any mounted drive.
Just use the Open Library option.
Avoid duplicates though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]