FORUMS: list search recent posts

Some trims suddenly cause crash: anyone else seen this?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Markgraf
Some trims suddenly cause crash: anyone else seen this?
on Mar 10, 2015 at 10:54:00 pm

Greetings again, Cows.

First the specs: X 10.1.4, Retina 15" MacBook Pro, media for this project on a G-Drive USB 3 2TB drive.

It's a sales sizzle reel, with lots of compositing via compound clips. Media is a mix of ProRes and MXF (Avid DnXHD 145 pulled from an ISIS and some DnX MXF in a QT wrapper.)

Starting about a week ago, trimming a clip by dragging the in or out point directly causes an instant crash. Slip trimming (also using the mouse inside the clip boundaries) usually causes instant crash. Selecting the edge and trimming via Shift + < or > is fine. Over the last couple of days, sometimes just selecting the clip edge can cause a crash (maybe 1 out of 20 times, randomly). Maybe I'm bumping the edge inadvertently as I'm selecting it.

Obviously, troubling behavior.

Never had this happen before. Started all of a sudden, and I can't correlate any particular change or event to the start of the trouble. It's a composite-heavy edit (sometimes 3 or 4 layers of nested compound clips) that needs rendering for smooth playback, but that's to be expected.

I'm reluctant to take too many troubleshooting steps, as the project is still a week or so away from delivery. But I'd appreciate any thoughts from the assembled Cow on the potential cause and/or solution of this issue.

OT: anyone have a good solution for preventing the media drive from spinning down? Prefs already set to "never" for drive sleep behavior.

Thanks in advance.
Jeff M.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: Some trims suddenly cause crash: anyone else seen this?
on Mar 13, 2015 at 7:46:06 pm

I just noticed this with video clips in ProRes422 format.
Once I do a trim the GUI freezes and then the app closes down.
Not sure if I can replicate it but I never have this problem with R3D files.

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
Re: Some trims suddenly cause crash: anyone else seen this?
on Mar 14, 2015 at 2:05:31 am

Turns out trashing preferences fixed the problem for me. (Thanks Tom Wolsky via fop.co!)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]