FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX P2 import - Still adds to library even if not checked

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Santos
FCPX P2 import - Still adds to library even if not checked
on Mar 9, 2015 at 3:50:56 pm

When I import P2 cards I have "copy to library" unchecked but when I view package-->Original media I can see all the created .movs @full size.

When testing with Raylight for import it properly only added the link movs to original media.

Is this a bug?

Is there a way to get FCPX import to work like Raylight or should I just use Raylight?

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: FCPX P2 import - Still adds to library even if not checked
on Mar 9, 2015 at 9:09:14 pm

[Eric Santos] "When I import P2 cards I have "copy to library" unchecked but when I view package-->Original media I can see all the created .movs @full size.
"

X won't leave media in place if the originals are on camera cards, you'd need to to copy the media from the card to a drive or create camera archives on a drive from the cards...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Eric Santos
on Mar 9, 2015 at 9:19:21 pm

Sorry, I should have specified I already do that.

When we fill up a card, I copy it a Master folder, inside that are the card images
Master\12_7_2014_1
Master\12_7_2014_2
etc

So if I import from Master\12_7_2014_1 I always get library-->original media filled with the source data(~7GB), regardless if I check the Import to Library.

If I drag Master\12_7_2014_1 to Raylight, it adds the event with alias in the Library-->orginalmedia(~a few KB for links)

The only other difference I can see is the fcpx import does not remove the pulldown but properly plays 23.98, the Raylight version strips the pulldown.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Mar 10, 2015 at 4:14:53 am

That seems odd, but kinda beyond my pay grade, maybe Jeremy or someone who actually knows something will chime in. ;-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 10, 2015 at 7:14:59 am

Eric,

I think that the problem is that while you are making images of the card storage structure, I suspect that if you're using any type of finder "drag and drop" action, you're NOT making images of the whole card VOLUME.

In the X database world, the volume information is important.

Try mounting the card as usual, but next, use the "Create Archive" option under the file menu to make a clone of the entire card volume and then use THAT as the source to import your clips into X.

No guarantee, but, ANY "drag and drop" finder operation has the capacity to break the metadata flow that X watts to see at the volume level.

Try it and see and let us know if that helps. If not, we can try some other things.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Eric Santos
on Mar 11, 2015 at 2:44:17 am

Thanks for your help Bill.

I think my problem was I was selecting the Folder in the Import Options so Leave in place was available, but when it scanned t in the media it created .movs.

I read another post here from Jeremy that said FCPX will always wrap P2 so you'll always copy to library.

I think I need to change how I think, in 7 I would use Raylight and create link mov that stayed on the RAID.

I could also do that with X but I do not think I gain anything.

I have other questions about metadata mapping from movieslate-->P2Clips-->FCPX but Ill ask on a different thread

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 11, 2015 at 3:17:20 pm

You can have X put the rewraps on the raid of course but yeah P2 gets rewrapped.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]