FORUMS: list search recent posts

create FCPX Multiclip from FCP7 stacked timeline

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Meyers
create FCPX Multiclip from FCP7 stacked timeline
on Mar 4, 2015 at 9:44:43 pm

hi, there.

there's a lot about FCPX i'm very interested in: Multiclips for instance seem very good, and of great potential for us, with their ability to have gaps in the angles, plus the ripple down effect of internal alterations
BUT we've gone quite a ways down the road of preparing our project in FCP7:

due to the random of/on way they shot a lot of scenes we generally just sync our two cams in stacked sequences, creating stacked sequences with cam A and cam B on separate tracks
we use Pluraleyes to get started, followed by a lot of manual work to finish it off

would there be some way of getting that work into FCPX and converting it to multiclips?
or would we have to do it al over again?

furthermore, there are instances where there are genuine breaks in the shooting, so FCP might want o create separate multiclips.
but id prefer to have all rushes for one scene inside one multiclip, with gaps in the angles.
doable?

thanks,
nick

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: create FCPX Multiclip from FCP7 stacked timeline
on Mar 4, 2015 at 10:03:23 pm

Assuming you have matching timecode or all cameras shot some sort of audio- FCPX would be able to redo the syncing automatically. It's fairly intelligent about connecting different takes with breaks. Or you could try in Xto7 if you wanted to transfer the original FCP 7 sequences directly. I'd read up a bit about it before going whole hog:

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH12656

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Mar 4, 2015 at 10:22:57 pm

Thanks, Noah.

unfortunately, there is no matching code. they didn't shot TOD code, so we cant even get the angles timed out, and sync them with one sync point.
and the Audio will only get us so far, we have to manually line up the remaining 20-30% of the clips.

we invested a few weeks work in this already, so just wondering if theres some way to use that.
i'm not expecting there to bea one-button solution, but would rather not have to re-do everything in FCPX

oh, that link is not working for me, it might not be complete?

cheers,
nick

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Mar 5, 2015 at 4:51:58 am

Hi Nick,

One of the advantages FCP had was that you could alter the source TC,
You could automate this using your beloved Quick Keys.

- Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Mar 5, 2015 at 1:50:43 pm

[Nick Meyers] "and the Audio will only get us so far"

Well, if there is no TC and the audio isn't useable for sync, then X isn't going change anything about the task at hand. But if the is ANY camera audio, then I'd give it a shot, since past clips of mine that *I* couldn't even hardly hear the audio from, X managed to sync to the dual audio anyway. I was amazed to say the least.

You can of course easily get what you've done in 7 over to X with 7toX.

Then there's always PluralEyes if all else fails. But then that relies on the same needs for syncing, too.

- RK

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Mar 5, 2015 at 9:07:55 pm

Hey Nick,

You can get your stacks from FCP7 into X by using 7toX. Unfortunately, you can't create multi clips from the timeline that you'll get it. What you have to do is Matchframe each stacked clip in your timeline and create markers at the same sync point. Then just use final cuts sync feature.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Doug Suiter
on Mar 5, 2015 at 10:59:23 pm

Nick - Doing it the way Andy suggests you will save the work you've already done with any manual syncing you have done so far because the position of the stacks will be retained in X.

Return to posts index

Doug Suiter
on Mar 5, 2015 at 10:33:33 am

I was just about to forward this thread to you Nick when I noticed the author's name was...yours :D

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 5, 2015 at 5:08:54 pm

Yeah 20% left over after audio syncing is not bad at all. It's not going to edit itself. :)

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Mar 6, 2015 at 9:23:15 pm

ok, great info guys, thank you.

Robin:
"Well, if there is no TC and the audio isn't useable for sync, then X isn't going change anything about the task at hand."

it's not magic, i know, just wondering if there was a way to create a scene-encompassing multiclip from a stacked timeline.

i suspect that browser skimming might make that unnecessary.
can i see a two-up display of multiclips while browser skimming?

nick

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Mar 7, 2015 at 12:38:44 pm

[Nick Meyers] "can i see a two-up display of multiclips while browser skimming?"

You actually have 3 display variations:

1) JUST the viewer (which switches dynamically to show you either what you're skimming in the timeline OR what you're skimming in the event)

2) The regular viewer PLUS an explicit EVENT viewer (timeline and event content only show up in the respective viewer)

OR

3) Viewer and ANGLE viewer. In which case the Angle Viewer shows you all the angles of your multicam (up to 16 at a time), be it while skimming/playing in the timeline or the event.

- RK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]