FORUMS: list search recent posts

Edit iphone 5S slow mo footage in FCP X

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Stein
Edit iphone 5S slow mo footage in FCP X
on Mar 4, 2015 at 6:08:28 pm

Hi,

I am trying to import and edit iPhone 5s slo mo footage into FCP X. It imports, but plays at "standard" (not slo mo) speed. I retimed it at a 25% of the speed, but it is not the same as the original clip - the audio is noticeably distorted.

The thing is, when I open the clip in Quicktime it plays in slo mo, just as is. Is there an easy way to achive the same in FCP X?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Doug Suiter
Re: Edit iphone 5S slow mo footage in FCP X
on Mar 5, 2015 at 10:35:53 am

instead of retiming to 25% select the clip in your timeline and select "Automatic speed"from the retiming menu. The effect of this is to play the clip's frames at the same rate as the timeline you have established. If it is 25 fps for example your 120 fps source footage will play at 25fps resulting in the slow motion replay you intended.

Doug
http://www.fcptalent.com

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Mar 5, 2015 at 2:09:10 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Mar 5, 2015 at 2:11:17 pm

You'll want to transfer the original, unadulterated (normal speed) clip from your phone via Image Capture or the likes. Transfer it any other way (e.g. via AirDrop, Email etc.), then it is conformed to 30fps and is NOT the 120 or 240fps, whichever you used, anymore. Once you do that you can use the actual framerate, for example the way Doug suggests or simply use the retime function any way you please.

- RK

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 5, 2015 at 6:56:24 pm

Also as cool looking as the iPhone's slow motion mode is, I don't recommend using it. It looks like in order to get to the faster frame rate it samples a much smaller portion of the sensor and then blows it back up to 1080 on the fly. The result is significantly degraded visual quality in the final version. Which of course you can't tell on the phone's screen but really falls apart on a broadcast monitor.

I've shot some impromptu tests on a 6 Plus using the onboard slow motion vs. standard speed 1080p slowed down in FCPX with optical flow. The onboard always looks much worse visually though of course the motion quality is a little better. So keep it in mind.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]