FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mono VO files in FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Jenkins
Mono VO files in FCPX
on Mar 4, 2015 at 8:43:03 am

What is the best practice for dealing with mono voice over files in FCPX? I typically master and hard limit mine in Audition, so that they peak at -6db. However, when I drop it into the FCPX timeline, the levels are at -12db; 6db lower than it should be. If I change the channel configuration from the default 'Mono' to 'Center', I get back 3db, but where did the other 3db go? Whether I have the Pan Mode on 'None' or 'Stereo Left/Right' doesn't make a difference. Sure, I can bump up the volume by 3 db, but I shouldn't have to.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
Re: Mono VO files in FCPX
on Mar 4, 2015 at 7:33:14 pm

For mono VO, here's my workflow:
- AT4047 mic into Joe Meek Studio Channel VC1Q
- Joe Meek through mixer, mix out to computer through Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
- record direct into Sound Studio (mono, 16/48 files)
- trim tops / tails, save to RAID
- drag & drop output files to Levelator
- import result into FCPX

These files sound great, and peak right at -6 dB. I have the mic set w/no rolloff, VC1Q has mild EQ and compression, mixer is just pass-through. I'll do some minor tweaking on the Joe Meek if someone else is in the booth.

Doug

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 4, 2015 at 8:16:09 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Mar 4, 2015 at 8:20:28 pm

[Doug Metz] "For mono VO, here's my workflow:
- AT4047 mic into Joe Meek Studio Channel VC1Q
- Joe Meek through mixer, mix out to computer through Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
- record direct into Sound Studio (mono, 16/48 files)
- trim tops / tails, save to RAID
- drag & drop output files to Levelator
- import result into FCPX

These files sound great, and peak right at -6 dB. I have the mic set w/no rolloff, VC1Q has mild EQ and compression, mixer is just pass-through. I'll do some minor tweaking on the Joe Meek if someone else is in the booth.

Anode"

Uh...

For voiceover here's my recording chain.

Neumann TLM-103 into a $299 Zoom H4n to supply 48v for the mic.

The H4n is connected to my laptop via a USB cable.

Launch Final Cut Pro X - and use the Voiceover module manage the session. Edit right in the storyline to fix mistakes and breaths, etc, plus add compression to taste.

Hit Share to email the recording to the client.

Bill the job.

Thats it.

Probably done my last 75 VO gigs this way.

If they want NO dynamic range, I'll sometimes run a file though Levitator as well - but typically only if someone has sent me a recording and the levels are squirley. (I've been doing VO work for 30 years and when I'm recording narration tracks, my voice seldom various by more than one or two db across a script, unless they've written in throwaway lines or other "acting" stuff.)

The rack of DBX and Symetrix outboard gear I used to record through hasn't been turned on in about 3 years now.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Mar 4, 2015 at 8:58:13 pm

Sounds messy, I know, but is really pretty quick. 2 button presses and I'm in the booth (edit bay isn't quiet enough for my taste - air handler, computer fans, drives, etc.)

First rig was a PL20 into a tube pre straight into a Quadra 840AV - used SoundEdit 16. An entire year's worth of full-time VO, with scripts for a single client's custom software package. I got into the habit of normalizing pretty much everything due to the crappy nature of the playback hardware.

Anyway, thought I'd share...

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]