FORUMS: list search recent posts

connect a clip to another connected clip or storyline?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Sarfatty
connect a clip to another connected clip or storyline?
on Mar 4, 2015 at 3:26:36 am

Is there a way to connect a clip to another connected clip or storyline?

Example: I have a b-roll montage as a connected storyline. There is a super that goes over one of the b-roll shots. The super is connected to the interview footage on the primary timeline, but we are tweaking interview clips and b-roll timing further up the timeline. After every tweak the super moves out of alignment with the b-roll clip. It would be much easier and logical if I could attach the super to the b-roll clip in the connected storyline rather than the primary storyline. But I can't figure out how to change what layer the super is connected to.

Is this possible? Suggestions?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: connect a clip to another connected clip or storyline?
on Mar 4, 2015 at 4:20:14 am

Compound clips are the way to accomplish this.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: connect a clip to another connected clip or storyline?
on Mar 4, 2015 at 12:42:15 pm

I agree that it would be nice to be able to connect clips to connected clips.

Compound clips can solve this problem, but they can be hard to work with sometimes as you can lose the relationship of the greater timeline if you need to adjust something within them.

I think something worth pursuing is to put your broll in the timeline at that point. This way, the clips can be connected to it, and then the broll will control the timing.

It may seem a little counter intuitive to not have the same media type in the primary (like the interview or dialogue) as you would in a tracked environment, but X offers great ways to control time and decent ways to control the connected relationships, and sometimes that involves putting "the right" clips in the primary.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]