FORUMS: list search recent posts

Clip Exporter to AE: mxf issues

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Markgraf
Clip Exporter to AE: mxf issues
on Mar 1, 2015 at 10:59:31 pm

Greetings again from the unnamed network interactive division...

Cutting on X. Enjoying being able to use mxf files directly from Avid in my cut. Using Clip Exporter to send clips and sequence to AE for the serious compositing.

The designer has Adobe CC. It's not CC 2014, but the previous version from at least a year ago. She has the Avid codecs package installed on her computer. QT will play the Avid dnxhd mxf files. After Effects will not. Won't even open the files.

This is a bummer. Either I'll have to transcode these files prior to editing (which kinda defeats the beauty of FCP's mxf support) or she'll have to transcode the clips and reconnect to them (pain in the butt for her). Either option negates the potential speed increase of native mxf support.

Adobe's web site says AE CC can read mxf (and specifically mentions Avid dnxhd). But it's not working.

Any ideas? Walter, etc. and others who are heavy AE users? (If this is not a good forum for this question, feel free to move to AW or CC forum.)

Thanks in advance.

Jeff M.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Clip Exporter to AE: mxf issues
on Mar 1, 2015 at 11:22:26 pm

She can download CC 2014 right next to CC and check it out. It should work.

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on Mar 1, 2015 at 11:41:43 pm

Yes, except for that "unnamed network" control over software. Shockingly difficult to just upgrade a piece of software that is vital to your workflow. Add in a bit of a deadline, and you can see the frustration...

Bottom line, though, is will CC2014 read Avid mfx files? Am I correct that pre-2014 CC will not? Or is there something else going on here?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 3, 2015 at 9:31:48 pm

[Jeff Markgraf] "Bottom line, though, is will CC2014 read Avid mfx files? Am I correct that pre-2014 CC will not? Or is there something else going on here?"

I am pretty sure Ae CC (not 2014) could read Avid MXF files. I know for a fact CC 2014 can (and Adobe Media Encoder CC 2014 can encode DNxHD OP1a).

Sorry, you should probably ask over on the After Effects forum. I don't think this has anything to do with FCPX screwing up the files somehow, as they are just reading the media in the MXF container.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on Mar 3, 2015 at 10:29:10 pm

Hi Jeremy

No, you're right - it's not FCP that's the problem. I only posted here because I sorta know you guys and I know nothing about AE.

Turns out that after upgrading to CC2014, my graphics person was able to open the mxf files by changing the extension to .mov. AE apparently thinks now they're in a QT wrapper and will open them. Go figure.

Now if I can just get AE to link to the renumbered files that Clip Exporter sends.

Completely OT: Where in Chicago? (Joliet native, NU college, one-time TeleMation editor)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 3, 2015 at 10:33:06 pm

Very weird! That doesn't seem right. Perhaps Clip Exporter is doing something to the MXF Files. I forgot about that part. There's a good chance, if Clip Exporter is making new media, they are not compliant MXF files.

Evanston native, DePaul graduate, currently near Division/Damen

:)

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on Mar 3, 2015 at 10:42:59 pm

Yes, maybe it is Clip Exporter. His demo and tutorials don't specify the media type. I'll ping in for more details. Even so, just being able to get media-managed clips and an AE timeline to graphics is a huge timesaver. These sales reel rough cuts have lots of layers of compositing in X that she has to translate and redo.

Love Evanston. Miss Chicago terribly. (LA sucks!) There's a lakeshore condo with my name on it, someday.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 3, 2015 at 10:54:08 pm

[Jeff Markgraf] "There's a lakeshore condo with my name on it, someday."

Better get in before the Cubs win the series!

:-D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]