FORUMS: list search recent posts

Some plug-ins clip signal at 100 IRE - Highlights Goodbye

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Stäudtner
Some plug-ins clip signal at 100 IRE - Highlights Goodbye
on Feb 27, 2015 at 4:02:41 am

hi everyone, while experimenting with Denver Riddles new color finale plugin (Great by the way), I realized that it clipped the video signal above 100 IRE....
So I did a little bit more research and found out that plug-ins like Filmconvert Pro, some from Alex4D, FxFactory, also clip the waveform ! So I thought, maybe that is a weird standard behavior of fcpx. But Boris FX and native plug-ins like "crisp contrast" are doing it correct and there is no clipping.
What is going on? Do some of our plug-ins just throw away everything above 100 IRE?

Return to posts index

Chris Stevens
Re: Some plug-ins clip signal at 100 IRE - Highlights Goodbye
on Feb 27, 2015 at 10:52:57 am

I'm having the same problem. Very annoying.

Chris Stevens - Waterline Media. Marine Production Company.
FCPX,Motion,AE, Resolve

Return to posts index

Frank Stäudtner
Re: Some plug-ins clip signal at 100 IRE - Highlights Goodbye
on Mar 1, 2015 at 10:07:45 am

hi Chris, very annoying indeed. We are destroying the information in our footage. What use is red raw data, if the first plug-in you add destroys & truncates it. we should have 32 bit float processing in the fcpx effects chain, like promised in the Apple specifications. Just like resolve.
But it seems, that some plug-ins are programmed 8-bit-ish.
Even worse: if all 256 color steps represent 8 bit. Some plug-ins cut off the top part of those 256 steps and leave us with, say only 235 steps. They just truncate the information. Previously I would have assumed that all plug-in programmers are creating 32-bit float plug-ins.

Could a plug-in creator chime in and clarify this?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]