FORUMS: list search recent posts

setting start timecode on b-roll clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
michael leavitt
setting start timecode on b-roll clips
on Feb 24, 2015 at 4:18:39 pm

Hi. I'm a novice video editor and I just upgraded from FCP 7 and started using FCPX. For my b-roll clips, they came from an outside vendor and all the start times are not at zero. It was fairly easy to modify the timecode for my b-roll in FCP 7.

How do I set the start time to zero?

See this screen shot:

Return to posts index

michael leavitt
Re: setting start timecode on b-roll clips
on Feb 24, 2015 at 5:03:21 pm

The reason I'm asking is I receive a script from the office with SOT timecodes as if each b-roll clip started at zero and they don't align with the *actual* digital timecode of each clip when viewed from inside FCPX

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 25, 2015 at 2:27:15 am

You can't from inside FCP X. That's the timecode that's embedded into the file. You really don't want to change that. But, you could make each clip a compound clip with new custom TC.

The person who took the SOT notes should go back to school, because they messed up. OR - they weren't given the proper video to look at, as they should have given you TC numbers that matched what is embedded in the file.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 25, 2015 at 2:28:03 am

PS: Other NLEs, allow you to enter AUX TC values, but not FCP X. A nice feature if it were there.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 25, 2015 at 3:22:57 am

The simple thing to do is drag out a range starting from the beginning of the clip. As you do so, a duration is shown right next to your mouse pointer. Easiest way I've found to go it. These days clients are always getting quick times of the media from somewhere and they always start at zero. So I'm doing this all the time. I've never used aux. I think 7 had the ability to show a counter instead of TC which served the same purpose. X still needs a bit of refining in some areas.

Return to posts index

michael leavitt
on Feb 25, 2015 at 2:43:54 pm

Bret-

Thanks, I'll try that technique too. And you're exactly right, their reviewing the quicktime MOV on a regular computer.

thanks

Return to posts index

michael leavitt
on Feb 25, 2015 at 2:41:54 pm
Last Edited By michael leavitt on Feb 25, 2015 at 2:50:53 pm

Oliver-

I don't know about the whole "go back to school" - they reviewed the .MOV files on their computer, in quicktime viewer which started each clip at zero, then and sent their script it back to me based on what they saw in quicktime. Not sure they could have done it any different based on how they review the clips.

But I get your point, making compound clips seems the easiest way to get the appropriate portions of the clips.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 25, 2015 at 3:35:23 pm

[michael leavitt] "I don't know about the whole "go back to school" ....Not sure they could have done it any different based on how they review the clips. "

Sorry, it was just a quip, but this is not the best way to handle it. QuickTime 7 displays actual timecode from the clip. Other professional players, like Pro Player from Digital Heaven also show timecode. The best way for most producers is to supply them with clips that have "burn in" timecode so the numbers are baked into the picture when they review the footage.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]