FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX Frame Jitters

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julian Fisher
FCPX Frame Jitters
on Feb 23, 2015 at 11:00:27 am

I have material that is fine when viewed in bins, but now it's on the timeline - there are strange frame jitters that display image momentary break up - sometimes in the middle of the shot or at the beginning (sometimes end) of cross dissolves.

It's not my viewer display settings because the problem is still evident after export.

First time using FCPX and I never had an issue with FCP7 doing anything like this.

Would love anyone suggesting a "try this" - because there's 100s of shots coming to over 2 hours on this timeline and I'm not keen to start again!

If it means anything - there are a number of different vision sources in this project but they've all been converted to .mov files.

Cheers for reading...

Sorry I'm not at all technical...

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: FCPX Frame Jitters
on Feb 23, 2015 at 11:02:57 pm

Are you sure the timeline timebase matches that of the clips?

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Julian Fisher
on Feb 24, 2015 at 12:41:22 am

Hi Noah,

To be honest - I'm not sure. I had to convert a bunch of MXF files to .MOV and I don't know if they came in with the same exact codec as the .MOV files that I didn't need to convert.

Overnight I looked closer at the timeline settings and noticed the render format was ProRes 422. I changed that to ProRes 422 HQ and went to bed as it rendered everything.

It appears the material that was "jittering" has been fixed.

I need to watch the whole sequence to be sure - but the transitions I've seen so far are smooth and there is no break up mid shot.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Feb 24, 2015 at 1:26:33 am

Hi Julian,

I think Noah was asking if your timeline frame rate matches the frame rate of your clips. I ran into similar weirdness just last week when one of our animators rendered out 25fps tails for my 29.97 edit.

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Julian Fisher
on Feb 24, 2015 at 1:43:48 am

Hi Doug,

It's very possible that's the issue. There are 7 camera sources in this project ranging from GoPro to Sony EX3. It's a wedding where I've been given vision from Uncle Tom's handicam and Grandma's iPhone to include with EX3 and X70. (That's what they want).

I did my best to convert stuff to the same .MOV format but I'm not sure what my Wondershare Video Converter did with all the frame rates etc.

This being my first FCPX project - I have not seen some of the warning signs I would get in FCP7 like solid red lines on the timelines indicating the need to render different types of vision.

Now that I've rendered everything in ProRes HQ - will I be OK? - or do I still have a nasty surprise coming after export?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 24, 2015 at 4:11:45 am
Last Edited By Noah Kadner on Feb 24, 2015 at 4:13:13 am

Kind of impossible to say from here. Sounds like a bit of a mess of formats. To be honest I wouldn't worry about perfection in the frames as it sounds like this is not a paid/mission critical gig. Try an export and see how it looks.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 24, 2015 at 6:56:14 am

Julian,

If you're concerned, there's a useful little free utility called MediaInfo that you can find with a google search. Just drop an exemplar clip on it and it will show you the technical details including the frame rate of that clip.

If you DO find that you have source clips that are playing back oddly, just have FCP X transcode those clips into X's "native" format of ProRes. That will make sure that all the clips going on your storylines have the correct frame rates and are full frames, not recordings in frame compression schemes that use inter frame compression requiring the program to need to mathematically calculate lots of missing information on the fly.

Good luck.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Julian Fisher
on Feb 25, 2015 at 12:44:47 am

Thank you Bill,

That's great advice. And yes after rendering everything in ProRes HQ - everything is cool now.

Thanks everybody. Much appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]