FORUMS: list search recent posts

Clip library compatible with both FCPX and Premiere?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Woodhead
Clip library compatible with both FCPX and Premiere?
on Feb 20, 2015 at 10:43:52 pm

Thoughts on any method to set up a single footage library to be shared by both PPro & FCPX users? SAN based. The key would be to share the clip metadata from clips added by either NLE. It would suffice if the metadata processing is only during the initial import to the library. Doubt this is possible, but it's worth asking. (FYI, I'm using the term "library" in the generic, not FCPX, sense.)

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Clip library compatible with both FCPX and Premiere?
on Feb 21, 2015 at 12:05:43 am

Any metadata that is burned into the clip- like time of capture, resolution, codec, etc will be cross-compatible. Anything additional you added in either app would not translate. As long as you left the media in place in both editors you would be fine.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Feb 21, 2015 at 2:46:03 am

Yeah, with you on that. But the goal would be a clip library, with metadata added post-camera, preferably in-NLE, that could then be shared cross-NLE. Just clips & metadata, not EDLs.

Dream the impossible dream. Can't we all just get along? Or something like that.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 21, 2015 at 3:18:32 am

I suppose you could muck around with something like Xto7 and then import EDL/XML into Premiere. Anything's possible but the amount of pain the workflow you're desiring would involve doesn't really seem worth the gains to me.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Jonathan Sutton
on Feb 21, 2015 at 1:20:34 pm

I assume then that using a separate app to apply metadata is not what you are looking for?

Jonathan Sutton
Video Editor
The American College Video Studio
https://vimeo.com/theamericancollege

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 21, 2015 at 2:19:46 pm

If so you want a MAM solution such as Cantemo or CatDV- not inexpensive but would allow metadata logging before the NLE stage.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Feb 21, 2015 at 2:38:05 pm

Re: Catemo /CatDV - cost isn't an issue, but workflow is. The situation wouldn't allow a pre-edit logging assistant.

But, could those apps take, say, a XML export of a NLE bin/keyword collection and somehow make the NLE-added metadata available to other NLE's? Again, not discussing EDLs/timelines, just clips & metadata.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 21, 2015 at 3:43:13 pm

Yes and no- MAMs are not designed to translate metadata between two NLEs. They are meant to be the master metadata catalog feeding one or more if needed NLEs. Perhaps you could describe your intended workflow a little more clearly.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Feb 21, 2015 at 4:26:35 pm

Very simple workflow; solo editors ingest material from camera cards/etc, edit start to finish, using a SAN. In the process of editing, good "archive broll" clips are found & tagged. When edit is done, editor exports/tags/something these clips to a new "all access" clip library on the SAN for future edit broll sources.

The rub is I'm wondering if there's any solution that would support both, or all 3, of the major NLEs, so that the tagging wouldn't have to occur pre-edit.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 21, 2015 at 5:44:04 pm

Shoot me a note through the site on my sig- we might be able to cook up something custom involving a MAM that would let you work a little 'backwards' per se.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]