FORUMS: list search recent posts

6K Prores files???

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Russell White
6K Prores files???
on Feb 19, 2015 at 3:15:53 pm

Hello!

So I've been asked for 6K (5568x3132) ProRes deliverables for finishing on multiple occasions from clients. In the past I have simply told them the highest resolution I can render out is 5K (according to the Prores white sheets).

Yesterday I had a client come in with some 6K r3d dragon material and wanted 6K Prores back for the deliverables, so I figured I would go ahead and try the 6K render just to see what happens. Although I was only getting 3fps render speed, the render worked and I now have a 6K Prores file!

I guess my question is, does this seem right? Am I missing something? Could the insufficient data rate cause a hit in quality? Although I cannot see a visual difference on a 50" plasma. Everywhere I have read online it says Prores will max out at 5K.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: 6K Prores files???
on Feb 19, 2015 at 6:22:28 pm

[Russell White] "6K (5568x3132) ProRes deliverables"

Of course, that's really not 6K - it's 5.5K - but I'm just quibbling.

[Russell White] "Everywhere I have read online it says Prores will max out at 5K."

It's probably because that's what Apple tested and that's what the specs are based on. I believe the ProRes family is resolution-independent and can take any size.

[Russell White] "Could the insufficient data rate cause a hit in quality?"

Use ProRes 4444 XQ if you want the maximum ProRes data rate. I don't think you want plain ProRes if this is supposed to be a master-quality transcode of a RED camera file. If this is just for offline editorial, then it doesn't matter.

[Russell White] "Although I cannot see a visual difference on a 50" plasma"

A 50" plasma would be 1920x1080, right? You won't see any difference at all between 1080 and 4k, 6K, etc. except for the added value of oversampling when rescaling to fit the monitor. The sort of data rate differences that might be a factor are invisible even at 1:1 pixels on something as coarse as a plasma screen. Even on the best monitor, it would be unlikely to visibly see any difference without applying some type of difference overlay for comparison.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: 6K Prores files???
on Feb 19, 2015 at 8:52:35 pm

I have a few 5504x1080 ProRes 422 masters I made for a big widescreen conference stage presentation back in 2010. That's a weird size. They play and function just fine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]