FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX to Sonar X3

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Arenz
FCPX to Sonar X3
on Feb 18, 2015 at 5:39:53 pm

Of course, many of us are irritated by the continued lack of support for OMF in FCPX. But now that a few years have passed, there has to be a work-around somewhere. Right?

Everyone says X2Pro for exporting from Final Cut Pro X for post audio, and it does look like a nifty solution. However, Sonar X3 still does not support AAF. Is there a tool out there people are using to convert from AAF to OMF? Are there any other folks using a workflow with Sonar & FCPX?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCPX to Sonar X3
on Feb 18, 2015 at 10:58:32 pm

I googled Sonar X3 and found their web page. Their catch phrase on the front page is "Sonar is re-inventing the modern recording studio."

"Modern."

If they want to be modern, I would think they should start supporting modern, current standards, such as AAF. OMF is so old, that pretty much all the current NLE's don't offer OMF export. Avid only does AAF, same for Premiere and FCX.

Not trying to be snarky, but perhaps as a Sonar customer and user, you can inform them that their current software is lacking support you need.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 19, 2015 at 4:17:09 am
Last Edited By Noah Kadner on Feb 19, 2015 at 4:18:30 am

Yep- OMF support is not likely to ever happen in FCPX. And I'd be willing to bet that just about any workflow Sonar could do, you could replicate in ProTools, Logic or even within FCPX itself with the right plugin.

That said, if you *really* want to use Sonar and OMF. Here's what you could try:

-X2Pro to get AAF out of X.
-Convert AAF to OMF with http://www.aatranslator.com.au

It's a windows program but they do say:

"AATranslator is a PC program but is known to run very well under emulators like Wine for Mac & Linux users (winebottler)
Mac users can contact us for detailed installation instructions"

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 19, 2015 at 12:25:22 pm

Actually Media Composer still supports OMF export, however, you have to go through a bit of a workaraound to find it. A lot of mixing engineers still prefer OMF even if they are on a new Pro Tools rig. Part of the issue with AAF support involves licensing costs.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 19, 2015 at 12:27:15 pm

Actually the easiest workflow is Xto7 into FCP7 and then OMF from there. Obviously this assumes you still have FCP7 installed.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Mark Arenz
on Jul 27, 2015 at 4:54:01 pm

I've been using XtoCC (formerly Xto7) going into Premiere for OMF export with good results, but since the last Adobe update, the workflow no longer works for stereo files. It sounds like Premiere is looking for a tag that notes that the track is stereo and not just 2 copies of the left channel.

Naturally, I'd love to have a plugin or an app that goes directly to OMF but that doesn't appear to exist. Failing that, it would be great if Sonar X3 supported AAF since there's an established workflow for that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]