FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVCHD to DVD workflow

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Thomas
AVCHD to DVD workflow
on Feb 14, 2015 at 3:44:47 pm

I think I’m happy with what I’m getting but I just want to make sure it’s OK.

1) I get AVCHD files on an SD card.

2) I import and create Proxy but not Optimised because I don’t see the point of them. (maybe that’s wrong?)

3) I edit the Proxy files then I switch back to “Optimized/Original” to export a “Master File” with the default “Video codec” of “Same as Source”

4) I pick this file up in Compressor and create the file for DVD authoring.

I’m worried about 2. Although everything seems to come out fine maybe I’m missing out on something? In my early FCPX days (a year plus ago) I religiously created Optimized files but they took up loads of space and I couldn’t see what they were doing for me. Bearing in mind my workflow, am I actually missing something?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

FCPX and PPro 6. iMac 24 + MBP 17". Near Geneva, Switzerland

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: AVCHD to DVD workflow
on Feb 14, 2015 at 5:03:10 pm

In the past, we created Optimized Media because you could not edit native formats. Now that we can edit most native formats, the only reason to create Optimized Media is if you can't edit the native format smoothly and you don't want to work with Proxies, or you work with other programs in your production pipeline that will need to round-trip back to your NLE. Optimized Media (being a digital intermediary) can withstand many more re-renders than native formats can, and so they are perfect formats for transferring through your pipeline.

To answer your question directly, I don't see any need to change your workflow.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Brian Thomas
on Feb 14, 2015 at 5:46:46 pm

I thought and hoped it would be something like that. So many thanks, John, for the explanation and removing that worry from my shoulders!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 15, 2015 at 5:15:54 am

Why are you making proxies?

Return to posts index

Brian Thomas
on Feb 15, 2015 at 8:30:07 am

Well the scenario I described was very much simplified as my concern was only 'do I need optimised or not?'.

Most of the time I'm videoing local amateur productions using at least five Panasonic prosumer camcorders as well us recording from the soundboard on my Zoom H4N. I know from experience that multicam-ing that lot even on my brand-new MBP has to be done on the proxy files otherwise I get all those 'dropped frames' messages. Or is there another way?

Certainly I've found out that the machine can handle a single camcorder input without proxy-ing but I only do that for the rarer 'family' stuff.

PS. I'm using a MBP as I'm frequently required to give up my 'editing studio' so that guests can sleep in there!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]