FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multi-track mxf export?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Morache
Multi-track mxf export?
on Feb 11, 2015 at 3:45:36 am

So I've been exporting multi-channel quicktime clips since roles came out.

I'm not sure how to export multi-channel mxf clips since it's going through compressor, and I never get a roles selection window, like I do when I export a quicktime movie.

Any ideas?

--Mark Morache, FCPX junkie

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Multi-track mxf export?
on Feb 11, 2015 at 6:02:20 am

Hrm- couldn't be done via Compressor as it has no awareness of roles.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 11, 2015 at 12:29:22 pm

You have to ProRes out to multitrack then flip to MXF in compressor with audio set to pass through.

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Feb 11, 2015 at 3:17:38 pm

I was afraid of that. I guess there's no way to create a virtual clip, or compound clip that has the properties of separate tracks. Perhaps in the future they will establish a way to designate tracks through roles before the export.

For example, in FCP7, I think I could create a multi channel sequence (it could have 8 tracks, but 4 channels), then nesting that in another sequence it would act like a clip that had multiple channels.

I'll live with the two-step process.

I guess I'll need to do an experiment to see if it's better to export pro-res out of my timeline, then use compressor to create my xdccm 35 mxf, or export a xdccm 35 clip into compressor. I wonder if compressor would go through a transcode even if it's the desired codec when it starts.

Thanks Jeremy.

---------
Don't live your life in a secondary storyline.

Mark Morache
FCPX/FCP7/Xpri/Avid
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 11, 2015 at 3:49:19 pm

[Mark Morache] "I guess I'll need to do an experiment to see if it's better to export pro-res out of my timeline, then use compressor to create my xdccm 35 mxf, or export a xdccm 35 clip into compressor. I wonder if compressor would go through a transcode even if it's the desired codec when it starts."

Do you need 8 (or 4) discreet channels? If you don't (and just need a 2 channel mix +6 empty tracks) you can do that with an MXF preset out of compressor setting and share out of FCPX, and the file will have 2 "active" channels, and 6 blank channels.

If you do need discrete mono channels, then you have to flip it after exporting the desired audio channel config. Yes, Compressor will reencode the video, so it's best to export out of FCPX in the best quality you can afford.

Hopefully, this process gets a bit more streamlined one day very soon.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Feb 11, 2015 at 3:52:50 pm

Yes, I need 4 discrete stem tracks. Our system at work will make quick work of importing an mxf, but a 4 channel quicktime movie will take a bit longer, so I still don't have the perfect solution, but I can get it done, even with the extra steps. Thanks again.

---------
Don't live your life in a secondary storyline.

Mark Morache
FCPX/FCP7/Xpri/Avid
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]