FORUMS: list search recent posts

C300 MXF compatibility with 10.1.4 and Pro Imports 2.0

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bret Williams
C300 MXF compatibility with 10.1.4 and Pro Imports 2.0
on Feb 9, 2015 at 2:10:37 pm

So since the MXF compatibility update, it seems I no longer need the Canon XF plug to import C300 footage. However, it still rewraps on the import. No option to leave in place. However if I just drag media directly to the event, it utilizes the actual MXF files and doesn't rewrap, leaving the files in place. Is the the normal behavior?

Return to posts index

William Davis
Re: C300 MXF compatibility with 10.1.4 and Pro Imports 2.0
on Feb 9, 2015 at 2:53:10 pm

It's my impression that when you use the Media Import window to bring in your C300 footage it collects the metadata that's in the original folder structure and re-wraps that into a new file with the media. Before the Pro Import 2.0 update you couldn't even see the media unless it was in the proper folders. That's what allows spanned clips to appear as single files upon import.

Using the drag and drop method works, but you do lose that metadata. I suppose that's why you're seeing the leave in place behavior when you import that way.

Cheers,
Bill

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 9, 2015 at 3:05:46 pm

We had that before just by having the Canon XF plugin didn't we? Drag and drop works for me. I don't have much need for any metadata.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 9, 2015 at 4:28:34 pm

You have to delete the Canon plugin, and then it will work through the import window.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 10, 2015 at 12:24:47 am

I don't appear to have it.

You're saying it'll just link to the files?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 10, 2015 at 1:29:16 am

I literally imported a huge wad of C300 files through the import window three days ago.

Yes, it just imports the MXF files with no rewrap/transcode.

I had never installed the Canon import plugin, so it worked for me, but I did have to uninstall a similar Sony plugin.

Maybe it's in the same place? See here: https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/344/34922#34922

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 10, 2015 at 2:29:28 am

Ok, so I dig down where that thread said and I have a RADplugins folder with a CanonXF64.RADPlug folder. I threw that in the trash and after rebooting FCP X without it, I can only drill down to the actual MXF file and import it. It doesn't recognize the card structure. Don't see any Sony plugins.

Can you describe your c300 import workflow where this is working without wrapping?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 10, 2015 at 2:52:44 am

[Bret Williams] "I can only drill down to the actual MXF file and import it."

That's how it works.

There's a folder called CLIPS001 or something like that, right? And in that is a folder with the clip name, and in that is all the stuff pertaining to that clip, including the MXF file.

I select all the folders in the CLIPS folder and import them. You may get a warning that some of the files might not import, which is fine, as the MXF files do import.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 10, 2015 at 2:57:26 am

So how is that different than just dragging the entire folder from the finder to the event? Which is what I did. Just like 5D media.

I was expecting something useful, like I dunno, a list of the clips on that card structure so I could actually pick and choose which ones to import.

It doesn't appear that dragging them into the event pulls in the metadata like Camera type.

So right now, with the plug still in the RAD folder, I can either drag them from the finder, or import with metadata and rewrapping in the import window. Best of both worlds?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 10, 2015 at 3:08:30 am

It depends on what you need, I guess.

I don't like rewrapping as its just more set of media to track and archive. C300 media is already "optimized" according to FCPX so a rewrap is just more disk space for me, and when there's a lot of footage, double the disk space adds up.

If your footage is on one drive, and you edit from another, you can always choose to consolidate the footage to the edit drive during import and it will only copy the MXF files.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 10, 2015 at 3:14:24 am

I'm with you. I have no need for the metadata like camera model, reel, pulldown, etc. BUT, it's nice to leave the plugin installed so that I can have access to that data just by importing one clip.

So my suggestion is to leave your Canon plugin in place if you have one, and just drag and drop from the finder. It's easier and quicker. I never used the import window in legacy and probably won't need to in X now either.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 10, 2015 at 4:30:56 pm

[Bret Williams] "I'm with you. I have no need for the metadata like camera model, reel, pulldown, etc. BUT, it's nice to leave the plugin installed so that I can have access to that data just by importing one clip. "

Some of that metadata does come through an MXF Import, though, if you need it. See here:

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 10, 2015 at 4:36:12 pm

Same stuff that comes across if you just drag and drop in the finder.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 10, 2015 at 5:12:12 pm

Right. So most of the metadata comes through in the MXF files.

I thought you were asking how to use the MXF files without rewrapping, but I guess I got that wrong.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 10, 2015 at 5:18:25 pm

I was. You helped me figure it out. I was confused when in the import dialog I clicked on the card folder and nothing happened. I assumed the new MXF support would allow us to see the files within. There is of course the argument that you lose metadata if you don't rewrap, so I figured this new method somehow preserved it. It appears it's nothing more than format support. But that's all good. Works for my workflow. Client gives me drive with clone of c300 card from the shoot. I copy that to pegasus and drag to event and begin working. All I need to make sense of their notes is TC.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]