FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cut MXF Files in Final Cut X 10.1.3 or how optimize just a selection of clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kai hattermann
Cut MXF Files in Final Cut X 10.1.3 or how optimize just a selection of clips
on Feb 7, 2015 at 8:39:19 pm

hello,
i have a lot of mxf files (4K)from the Sony PXW-FS7 to edit.
does anybody have experience with editing the mxf files directly in final cut x?
if i better optimize the clips in prores 444 files, is there a way just to optimize
the needed selections of my clips to avoid the huge amount of GB `?

thank you,
cheers, kai

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
Re: Cut MXF Files in Final Cut X 10.1.3 or how optimize just a selection of clips
on Feb 8, 2015 at 11:58:08 am

Hey Kai -

If you upgrade to 10.1.4 and Pro Video Formats 2.0, you should be able to handle all this natively. A little more information from Steve Martin:

http://provideocoalition.com/mspencer/video/mxf-support-in-final-cut-pro-10...

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

kai hattermann
Re: Cut MXF Files in Final Cut X 10.1.3 or how optimize just a selection of clips
on Feb 9, 2015 at 8:41:37 am

hey scott,
thank you for the quick response and for the link! sounds great!
still have one question - is there any chance to optimize just a selection of a clip?
until now when i have a selection of a clip and right click to generate an optimized file,
final cut will make a prores of the entire clip, not just the selection.
have a nice week,
kai

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Feb 9, 2015 at 10:59:28 am

[kai hattermann] " is there any chance to optimize just a selection of a clip?"

I am not sure on that....someone with a higher pay-grade than mine can answer.

But remember in FCPX you can select multiple parts of a clip to import (which is a VERY nice feature, indeed). With that, you can pick just the parts you need of that long clip and import just that part or parts. Saves storage space and makes your life easier in the edit, not having to scrub through all the un-needed footage. And you are still native, so it avoids the transcode and the large Pro-Res files sizes.

sw

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

kai hattermann
on Feb 9, 2015 at 11:01:58 am

scott. exactly this i found out now. kicking my a... why never did before :)
very good and storage saving feature...
have a nice day!

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 9, 2015 at 1:01:55 pm

You cannot transcode a section of a clip. My suggestion would be to work in proxy mode, which means X would transcode everything in the BG for more lightweight editing. You would be editing with half-res ProRes Proxy media. Lock the cut, switch back to original/optimized to export your final edit.

Another thought would be to try PrimariesExporter, which can create exported clips from clips or ranges of your timeline. You could assemble a sequence of selects, use PE and then cut with those clips. Note though that TC will be based on the sequence and not the source.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

kai hattermann
on Feb 9, 2015 at 1:16:52 pm

what a loveley tool! thanks oliver!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]