Editing with Subtitles in FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Meyers
Editing with Subtitles in FCPX
on Feb 7, 2015 at 4:47:17 am

hello there.

i've seen a fair few posts about creating or importing subs into X,
but they are mainly for a finished product.

i will need to subtitle and edit RUSHES.

has anyone done this, and have some pointers?

im wondering if a whole string of subs can be included as part of a compound clip, perhaps.
they'd need to be attached to the audio, so we can use overlay, etc

i havent used X yet, but am considering it for a particular job.

thanks,
nick

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Editing with Subtitles in FCPX
on Feb 7, 2015 at 7:04:01 am
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Feb 7, 2015 at 7:09:18 am

Reasonably easy in X. (I'd stay away from messing with compound clips or secondaries in this. It's not really necessary at all.)

Lay your video with audio and edit to taste.
Go through and tap M to place markers on either the audio or the video where you want each subtitle to start.
Create a short text title with the appropriate font and style attributes as a connected clip - connected to the first marker position.

Now go along and use the "next marker" command (Control ,) to move the playhead from marker to marker and paste the short dummy title at each marker (text change) point.

Then go through and extend the title clips to the next marker point to close all the gaps. (Shift down arrow to get to the end of each title blank, shift left bracket to select the out, down arrow to move to the next edit, shift X to extend the edit) - if you've got a TON to do, you can maybe use Automator to combine these into one keystroke? never tried that actually.)

Then you just need to double click each text clip and type in the translation.

When you're done you can roll the edits to adjust timing.

Maybe someone can figure out how to automate more, but that's where I'd start.

Hope it helps.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Feb 7, 2015 at 6:12:53 pm

Hi Nick,

It depends on what you particular want for the subtitles.

One way (at least partially) is using markers as Bill described.
My X-Titles allows to import a XML and convert the marker text to time matching subtitles.
Since you are a TitleExchange user you get the app for free.
Drop me an email if you got questions.

- Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 7, 2015 at 9:57:11 pm

My suggestion is to A) listen to Andreas Keil - and B) find something he makes to BUY.

We need to keep him financially viable so he stays around a long time to keep developing cool stuff for X.

He's a treasure.

My 2 cents.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Feb 8, 2015 at 2:31:28 am

Thanks, for the info, guys.

we have some subs already created in FCP7.
we *might* create new ones in FCPX, time will tell

but mainly i'm interested in what happens AFTER the subs are created.

let me outline what we do in FCP7:

after creating the subs, we add a marker for every sub on the clip beneath it, the subtitle text is entered in the marker.
this gives some lee-way when cutting: if we lose the subtitles, or lose sync on them, we can recover.
(we do this by going back to the rushes, finding the relevant spot via reverse match frame,
then copy / pasting the missing subs back to the edit sequence)

we also enter the subtitle text into teh Text generator's name, with a prefix STL_
this allows us to search for specific text terms, (very handy) and also allows us to do a "find-al" for all subs.

that's just the preparation,
when it comes to editing, most of our work then needs to be copy and paste from sequence of subtitles rushes into an edit sequence.
obviously the subs don't follow when you load clips into the viewer.
of course we can also load the subtitled rushes sequence into the viewer and edit from there.
FYI we also have two tracks of sloppy multi cam, which is simplest to not multiclip.

so my main query is how FCPX would compare to this process.

are there some steps we have to do in FCP7 that are now redundant in FCPX?
is there a slicker way to edit subtitled rushes?
can one do a find-all for a specific type of text generator?

i know FCPX can deal with our sloppy multi cam much better than FCP7,
so how much better is it at editing subtitled rushes where the subs are separate strings of text generators?

cheers,
nick

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 8, 2015 at 8:41:19 am
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Feb 8, 2015 at 8:45:47 am

First off, you CANT lose sync in X unless you manually move something with intent. Thats how the magnetic timeline works. Any secondary element like a title is pinned to a primary storyline clip. When the clip moves, the linked secondary moves with it. So if you migrate to X, say goodby to getting your titles out of sync. It just won't happen.

As to "search for specific terms" you're about to feel like you've died and gone to heaven. Between the keyword tag possibilities and the timeline index, set up right, X is a searchers dream.

Nick, heres the thing....

If you come at X looking at it through the lens of "how can I do what I do in Legacy in X, you will waste scads of time and create a lot of unnecessary frustration.

Learn X the way X works. Along that journey, you'll start discovering multiple ways to cut huge amounts of wasted time out of your workflow using the tools in X. If you want to get up and running fast, you should seriously seek out an X workflow expert and pay them to really dig into your needs and translate those into an X oriented solution. There are multiple possibilities involving compound clips, secondary storylines, and setting up smart collections to collate similar types of clips.

The most efficient workflow needs to be custom fit to YOUR needs.

Again, you know how to solve your problems in ONE linear timeline fashion. X is NOT a simple linear timeline. It's a magnetic timeline tired directly into an agile digital asset management system with all sorts of new behaviors such as compound clips that can bring HUGE benefits, and some downsides to a workflow.

So why waste time and effort setting things up wrong? X tricks many folks because it's so inexpensive and the fundamentals are so easy - but buried beneath the surface is a ton of new thinking and new technology. And adapting that to a modern workflow to make your editing life easier will require some help from someone who knows the software well.

I'd advise you to start in Apple's FCP X Certification registry for the folks who've taken the time to become Apple Certified in Professional Post Production. Look for someone in your area to sit down and talk with. There are quite a few of us who are certified scattered across the US and around the world.

Doing this yourself is kinda iffy if you don't know the program well enough to understand the new tools it presents.

FWIW.

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Feb 9, 2015 at 9:07:06 am
Last Edited By Andreas Kiel on Feb 9, 2015 at 9:12:41 am

Sorry I'm pretty late. Fortunately Bill was so kind to answer and explain.

Below a little (maybe not complete) table to compare subtitle handling FCP 7 versus FCP X in the current version 10.1.x.
Earlier versions had less features.

As Bill said all this search and related stuff is way faster and comfortable in FCP X with even more options you ever had in FCP 7.

One possible issue with FCP X is that you can't have favorites any more. But that one for subtitles is not a real issue. It can be a little pain for news or similar where you will have a lot of lower thirds.

- Andreas

@ Bill: thanks for the kind words above.

Spherico

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Mar 4, 2015 at 9:43:26 pm

thanks Bill, Andreas.
that's a great list, and very promising.

especially "Batch change of Subtitle parameters"

a freind demoed a small bit of subtitle work in FCPX the other day.
it was great how they just traveled with the clip, and ducked up and over any added B-Roll

BIll, you're right about how to approach X,
i hope you'll excuse me if i frame my questions in my old way of understanding.
(i've a lot of questions, too!)

sorry for late reply, a lot going on here
nick

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Mar 5, 2015 at 4:38:46 am

[Nick] sorry for late reply, a lot going on here

Congrats for editing "Paper Planes".
Ttailer:

-Andreas

Spherico

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Mar 6, 2015 at 9:17:11 pm

thanks, Andreas,
it went down very well at Berlin FIlm fest, so hopefully will get a release over your way soon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]