FORUMS: list search recent posts

newbie continuing support please

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Lacey
newbie continuing support please
on Feb 6, 2015 at 5:31:18 pm

Working on my first edit with FCPX so please bare with me. A few basic questions:

How to get audio to scrub with video on timeline when skimming is off
How to super clip timecode in timeline
4:3 stills come in as widescreen when spatial conform=none, how do I import stills with a par of 1
How do I order events in the browser for my requirements, not in date or alphabetical order?
Are there 3rd party filters available and if so are they all on the App store.

Many thanks

XdcamEx & HD, C300, DSLRs, all sorts of production & post gear and a very untidy desk. On the East Coast of the UK

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: newbie continuing support please
on Feb 6, 2015 at 6:16:37 pm

[Alan Lacey] "How to get audio to scrub with video on timeline when skimming is off"

You can't. Tuning off skimming tuns of audio skimming. You can turn on "clip skimming" which is separate from skimming and allows you to scrub individual clips, which will give you an audio preview of that clip.

[Alan Lacey] "How to super clip timecode in timeline"

Very convolutedly. You have to open each clip with the "open in timeline" command and add the "Timecode" Generator to that clip. Please ask Apple for a tc reader filter.

[Alan Lacey] "4:3 stills come in as widescreen when spatial conform=none, how do I import stills with a par of 1"

What format is your timeline? Change spatial conform to "fit".

[Alan Lacey] "How do I order events in the browser for my requirements, not in date or alphabetical order?"

By name, then sort by name. You can turn off the grouping so it doesn't Group clips.

[Alan Lacey] "Are there 3rd party filters available and if so are they all on the App store."

Yes and no, but the AppStore allowing 3rd party filters is new. Most 3rd party filters are independently sold of the AppStore. Most 3rd party apps (like Xto7 or X2Pro) are available at the AppStore. What are you looking for?

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Feb 6, 2015 at 6:45:29 pm

Thanks Jeremy,

In answer to you questions:

Importing stills, these are of varying size, all jpgs and generally 4:3. Currently they are exported pages from various PowerPoints. Both 'fit' and 'none' spatial conform lead to them being stretched to the 16x9 timeline.

So no random sorting in the event? I guess I'll have to name them 00**, 01** etc - what a pain.

3rd party plugins: I was primarily thinking about this clip timecode problem but am sure there will be many more utilities I'll find absent.

So if 'open in timeline' each clip then apply the TC generator I get the clips timecode as opposed to the timeline TC?

Thanks for your help

XdcamEx & HD, C300, DSLRs, all sorts of production & post gear and a very untidy desk. On the East Coast of the UK

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 6, 2015 at 7:50:57 pm

[Alan Lacey] "Importing stills, these are of varying size, all jpgs and generally 4:3. Currently they are exported pages from various PowerPoints. Both 'fit' and 'none' spatial conform lead to them being stretched to the 16x9 timeline."

That doesn't seem right. When I scrub 4:3 stills in the BOrwser, the stills appears stretched on the outboard monitor because they are being fit to the display, but as soon as I add the still to a timeline, the still is then letterboxed and it keep it's PAR.

[Alan Lacey] "So no random sorting in the event? I guess I'll have to name them 00**, 01** etc - what a pain."

FCPX has really easy and quick renaming capabilities.

[Alan Lacey] "So if 'open in timeline' each clip then apply the TC generator I get the clips timecode as opposed to the timeline TC?
"

This is such a kluge of a workaround I almost didn't want to post it. IT does give you sequence tc, but since each clip is opened in it's own timeline (that is by right clicking and choosing open in timeline) and that sequence follows the clip tc, it is the correct reflection of the tc. You would then have to turn each generator off if you need to turn off the tc. It might be easier to make a subset of window burned media and work from that for now.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 7, 2015 at 5:38:56 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "[Alan Lacey] "So if 'open in timeline' each clip then apply the TC generator I get the clips timecode as opposed to the timeline TC?
"

This is such a kluge of a workaround I almost didn't want to post it. IT does give you sequence tc, but since each clip is opened in it's own timeline (that is by right clicking and choosing open in timeline) and that sequence follows the clip tc, it is the correct reflection of the tc. You would then have to turn each generator off if you need to turn off the tc. It might be easier to make a subset of window burned media and work from that for now."

Something must have changed. Doesn't work. It magically reflects the encompassing timeline for me. Just like you applied it without "opening in timeline."

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 8, 2015 at 7:34:28 pm

[Bret Williams] "Something must have changed. Doesn't work. It magically reflects the encompassing timeline for me. Just like you applied it without "opening in timeline."
"

Alas, you are right. This has changed. Apologies.

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Feb 8, 2015 at 9:40:41 pm

Do you think there's a way of using the timecode text generator in Motion to read and display clip timecode in FCP? I don't know enough to experiment with this.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 8, 2015 at 10:12:20 pm

I don't think anything works.

Leo Hans built a TC reader and it broke in an FCPX update years ago. The functionality has never returned.

The way to do this today is to make a window burned set of media from your orig or optimized media after import, and link theEvent footage to it, then relink back to the original/optimized when necessary.

This is also unreliable and kludgy, and a waste of disk space.

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Feb 9, 2015 at 8:55:46 am

Okay. Do you think you could do this with proxys and also how would you go about linking?

Sorry to be a pain but I'm totally new to X.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 9, 2015 at 9:28:13 pm

[Alan Lacey] "Sorry to be a pain but I'm totally new to X."

I don't know where your footage is sourced, but let's say it's all ProRes media. Import and organize in FCPX, and leave the files external.

You would take all of that ProRes media, wash it through compressor with a "Same as Source" setting for video and audio, and perhaps take the codec down to Proxy or LT to save some disc space. Be sure to turn on the tc reader filter, and position it where you'd like. You would apply that setting to every clip, and make new clips.

You'd then File > Relink Files in FCPX to the new time coded media.

When you need to turn it back off, you'd relink to the original ProRes media.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Feb 10, 2015 at 1:25:18 pm

Thanks for the workflow Jeremy. Looks to be straightforward, I'll give it a go. Yes most of the media will be ProRes from Samurai Blades, with some c300 and DSLR thrown in.

Alan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]