FORUMS: list search recent posts

Joining MP4 Files from Vixia

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Pierre
Joining MP4 Files from Vixia
on Jan 30, 2015 at 10:59:19 pm

Hi,

Can you join files that have been split up by a camera in FCPX without there being a glitch / frame missing / skip?

Thank you,
Joe

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Joining MP4 Files from Vixia
on Jan 31, 2015 at 1:23:25 am

Are the MP4 files still in the camera card structure or did you remove them from one of the folders and not save the camera card folders?

When you copy or archive a camera card, it's important to maintain the entire file structure of the card so that the metadata about how to stitch the files together is saved.

If all you have are the files, you can try concatenating them together from a command shell. Just open Terminal window in the folder of the MP4 files and use:cat file001.mp4 file002.mp4 > joined.mp4That will join file001.mp4 and file002.mp4 into joined.mp4. It's worth a try.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Joe Pierre
on Jan 31, 2015 at 9:49:47 pm

How do I point to the actual files - it said no such file or directory. At the moment they are on the desktop.

So - I do have the card - but I think unfortunately I shot some stills with my 60D and did not initialize the card before it went in the vixia 52.

I called cannon and they said that MP4 cannot be stitched together and there will always be a gap.

Why in the world would they let you record longform video that way then? No warning not to tape concerts with MP4!

The concerts do play and appear as one single file when still in the camera so maybe there's hope?

Thanks!
Joe

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Feb 1, 2015 at 2:18:33 pm

[Joe Pierre] "How do I point to the actual files - it said no such file or directory. At the moment they are on the desktop."
When you open a Terminal window you should be in your home folder. The desktop is one folder below that. To get to it, you issue the Change Directory command which is 'cd'. So this is what the whole thing will look like:
cd Desktop
cat file001.mp4 file002.mp4 > joined.mp4
Obviously use your real filenames that are already on the desktop and make up whatever name you want for joined.mp4. I just selected that as an example.
[Joe Pierre] "Why in the world would they let you record longform video that way then? No warning not to tape concerts with MP4!"
The problem is that memory cards use the FAT32 file system. That file system is quite old and only allows for files up to 4GB in size which is about 20 minutes of HD video. If you exceed the 20 minutes, the camera must start a new file. This is why you get multiple files for one long shot.

I have a Sony HVR-DR60 Hard Drive Recording Unit that I use with my Sony HVR-Z1U camera (yes, I'm still shooting HDV because I'm mostly an editor and rarely go out and shoot anymore and besides, my customers don't care because they still request DVD's) for shooting concerts and other performances that usually last 1 - 2 hours. The Sony HVR-DR60 comes with a utility that stitches together the separate files with no gaps so I get perfectly continuous footage on one long file when it gets copied to my hard drive.

So it is possible to stitch together these files from some cameras without a gap. It sounds like Canon might be telling you that their camera is unable to record without a gap, but copying the files back-to-back should get you as close as possible.
[Joe Pierre] "The concerts do play and appear as one single file when still in the camera so maybe there's hope?"
Then using the 'cat' command should work. Let me know how you make out or if you need more help.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]