FORUMS: list search recent posts

X to Avid - where do we stand?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Markgraf
X to Avid - where do we stand?
on Jan 26, 2015 at 11:42:29 pm

Hello again, Cows.

Having finally convinced the good people at my nameless division of a nameless network to let me do a bunch of sales reels on X instead of Avid, I am now being asked if it is possible to get some version of the final project into Avid as a "backup" in the event future revisions need to be done in the Avid. (This is both a security blanket for the higher-ups, as well as an unfortunate but likely scenario).

I know this is a tough nut to crack. I've searched online, but haven't gotten a clear picture. So I present it to you: where do we stand with the X to Avid conversion process? I know there is no direct method (ala X to 7 or the late lamented Automatic Duck). Perhaps some other roundabout method? Generating an EDL and recreating the sequence that way in Avid? Perhaps the process is easier now that X deals with MXF files (I'll be using MXF in X for these projects)?

Any thoughts from the workflow gurus would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Francois Jean
Re: X to Avid - where do we stand?
on Jan 27, 2015 at 2:38:20 am

That might be costly but invaluable in your situation ...search for EDL-X on your App store

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/edl-x/id539666579?mt=12

Avid was an offline NLE , the first EDL generator .

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jan 27, 2015 at 7:36:08 am

[Jeff Markgraf] "Any thoughts from the workflow gurus would be appreciated."

Like Zachary said, EDL-X (not free). Or, you can import fcpxml into Resolve 11 lite (free) and export an AAF. I've tested both methods with video, not sure about Audio... EDL-X may work for that as well. X2Pro (not free) makes amazing audio AAF's, but last I tried MC for some reason wouldn't open them. More specifically, they opened and looked right, but MC wouldn't link to the embedded audio. I haven't tried with the latest MC (8.3) I'll give it a try and update when I can..

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jan 27, 2015 at 1:51:39 pm

At some basic level, Charlie's on the nose with Resolve 11 Lite or Full.
I had to move huge R3D data from FCPX to Avid MC and used Resolve 11 to AAF option.
Now the things that dont travel all too well are the virtual type clips such as Audio Sync.
It works but at times, things go missing.
Basic edits Im sure will be fine, I can do another test.
Now as far as AUDIO, that will take some testing on my end.

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on Jan 27, 2015 at 7:12:19 pm

From what I've found online, the X to Resolve to Avid route seems most likely.

Unfortunately, these projects will be compositing heavy - which is why I want to do them in X in the first place. And I gather compound clips and such are a little dicey in making the translation.

Still, if I can get a basic sequence in the Avid that mostly reflects the original X sequence (sorry - "project") then it will be a good place to start. I don't mind some rebuilding and tweaking. After all, these are only rough mockups - the final graphics will be done by the graphics person in AE & Cinema 4D and whatever other magic programs she uses.

I'm hoping Clip Exporter will be easy to use to get the X project & files to her.

I wonder why X to Pro can't do video in the AAF compositions along with the audio? What a lifesaver that would be.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jan 27, 2015 at 7:40:17 pm

[Jeff Markgraf] "I wonder why X to Pro can't do video in the AAF compositions along with the audio? What a lifesaver that would be."

No idea, as they have solutions (for FCP 7 I think) that do just that. I've bugged them about it, please head to Marquis and do the same. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jan 28, 2015 at 5:54:50 pm

What about from X to 7 then AAF/OMF to Avid?

I dont have the resource to test that today :(

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on Jan 28, 2015 at 6:34:07 pm

Eric-

Yes, I imagine that would work. But it also requires having FCP 7 on the computer, which would be a problem here at the nameless network. Even the little bit I'm trying to do here could cause small phase shifts in the space-time continuum here. I kid you not.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 29, 2015 at 1:36:10 am

I think Resolve is the best way to go. Remember that you will have to render new media when you do this. That's a good thing as it makes relinking easy for Avid. Media Composer is terrible for relinking outside of its own controlled environment.

Regarding effects - forget it. The compositing will never translate. I suggest that you render out self-contained composites and place them on top of the elements. That way you'll have the clean elements as connected clips and then the final version on top. These will stack onto tracks in Resolve and MC.

At least that way, you've have the final composite in Avid and would only have to rebuild it is something changed about the composite.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on Jan 29, 2015 at 4:11:47 am

Oliver -

In my case, not carrying over the effects is fine.

Normally, I do a rough mockup in the Avid and then send a reference and clean video to the designer. Her finished composition goes on the top layer. I plan to do the same thing in X. The difference is that it will be much faster to do the mockup, so I can be more detailed in the rough cut. (This place is full of "Rough Cut Ladies," if you know what I mean. The more it looks like the final version, the better.)

I plan to use Clip Exporter to send the clean video to the designer as a linked AE composition. So having the effects stripped off is just fine.

Getting the sequence into the Avid is a security blanket for the VP types. The Avid sequence would have clean clips with minimal effects, along with music & sfx and VO. It's only there so someone can go back into the project in a couple of months and move things around based on client feedback or to make a cutdown or whatever. At that time, the new reference rough cut would go back to the designer who would make a new finished composition.

So mainly, I want to avoid having to completely reinvent the wheel in the Avid after I've done it in X. Getting an Avid sequence that mostly matches the X sequence in terms of clip placement is the primary goal. I'll be using MXF media from the Avid and from other programs sources intended for the Avid, so at least the transcode step is moot.

As always, I appreciate your (and the other Cows') thoughts. Maybe I can be the first X editor to crack the network wall of Avid!

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 29, 2015 at 4:29:24 am

[Jeff Markgraf] " I'll be using MXF media from the Avid and from other programs sources intended for the Avid, so at least the transcode step is moot.
"

Actually, no - not if you go the Resolve route. You have to render from Resolve and it creates an AAF that links to that new media.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on Jan 29, 2015 at 5:27:26 am

Oliver-

Right. All the workflow articles mention that. I need to pay better attention!

Several questions:

1) I would be sending (mostly) MXF files to Resolve, and would be importing (via AAF) MXF files (DnX145) into Avid. Should I expect to see a loss in quality (compression artifacts, etc.)?

2) Do I specify the DnX145 in the export?

3) FCP imports the MXF files as separate audio & video. I then make a synchronized clip to edit. Will the audio stay attached through the Resolve in/out process? (Not very many synch sound clips, so not a deal-breaker.)

4) Isn't it kinda late in Florida right now? ;-)

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 29, 2015 at 2:51:51 pm

[Jeff Markgraf] "1) I would be sending (mostly) MXF files to Resolve, and would be importing (via AAF) MXF files (DnX145) into Avid. Should I expect to see a loss in quality (compression artifacts, etc.)? "

I doubt you'd see any visible difference. Avid and Apple codecs are designed with concatenation in mind, meaning you take the biggest hit when it's first compressed and then there's less damage with subsequent re-compression generations. You could always export to a higher DNxHD setting, like 175/220. This would preserve a little more of what's there, but it's probably overkill, unless you are planning to go 5 gens or more.

[Jeff Markgraf] "2) Do I specify the DnX145 in the export? "

Yes.

[Jeff Markgraf] "3) FCP imports the MXF files as separate audio & video. I then make a synchronized clip to edit. Will the audio stay attached through the Resolve in/out process? (Not very many synch sound clips, so not a deal-breaker.)"

Honestly, I haven't tested the workflow with sync sound, so I'm not sure. If it gets into Resolve properly, it should be OK on the export from Resolve, too. Otherwise, export audio stems from X (set up using roles) and then import and re-sync these tracks once you are in Avid.

[Jeff Markgraf] "4) Isn't it kinda late in Florida right now? ;-)"

Yep. Baby-sitting some transcodes. H.264 from GoPros and 5D/7Ds to ProRes. I hate editing with native media made up of non-optimized codecs ;-)

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]