FORUMS: list search recent posts

Updating Mavericks>Yosemite, FCPX 10.1.2>10.1.4 cautions? Clean install needed or simple update?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Underwood
Updating Mavericks>Yosemite, FCPX 10.1.2>10.1.4 cautions? Clean install needed or simple update?
on Jan 19, 2015 at 4:06:05 am

Hi, Title says it all. Updated libraries with 10.1.1... looking for any "best way" advice for performance, stability, etc. Thanks ~

~ Steve Underwood

Computer: MacBook Pro, OS X 10.9.4
Processor: 2.6GHz, Intel Core i7, Memory: 16GB
Intel Iris Pro, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M, FCX 10.1.2
Pegasus 4TB RAID

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Updating Mavericks>Yosemite, FCPX 10.1.2>10.1.4 cautions? Clean install needed or simple update?
on Jan 19, 2015 at 4:13:42 am

I'd be cautious if you have a lot of plugins- make sure they are updated to Yosemite first.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Updating Mavericks>Yosemite, FCPX 10.1.2>10.1.4 cautions? Clean install needed or simple update?
on Jan 19, 2015 at 11:13:32 am

As Noah said, always be cautious. Always have a full backup or cloned drive just in case (I have both). I performed a simple update and didn't have any problems. FCP X 10.1.4 seems to be working fine with all of my projects. No issues to report.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jan 19, 2015 at 5:29:29 pm

A clean install is never a bad idea but is more work. It gets rid of a lot of clutter. If you are experiencing any sluggish or weird behavior, good time to clean things up. If not, clone, and give it a shot. Reinstalling from app store is really easy. Everything else still on clone. Library stuff in mail and safari work from mav to yosemite no problem. Third party stuff may get broken. I had to reinstall driver for external monitor and it was a bit of a pain going through black magic site. (slightly legacy card). FC worked better after the install. I do miss the old safari where I could command~ my way through all open windows. Other than that Yosemite seems more stable.

Either way make a screen grab of all your apps and drivers plug ins and the like and check out each one for compatibility/updates.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Stephen Underwood
on Jan 20, 2015 at 3:16:55 am

Thanks for all the tips and info. Much appreciated. I'd like to get the clone operation done easily and effectively.

Is this link from Bombich on how to clone an HD recovery partition a good path to follow for cloning my startup drive?

https://bombich.com/kb/ccc4/cloning-apples-recovery-hd-partition

~ Steve Underwood

Computer: MacBook Pro, OS X 10.9.4
Processor: 2.6GHz, Intel Core i7, Memory: 16GB
Intel Iris Pro, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M, FCX 10.1.2
Pegasus 4TB RAID

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jan 20, 2015 at 4:53:23 am

CCC is third party cloning software that does cost money. It's worth it. If you keep a CCC clone updated on a regular basis you will never need panic or take much time to get back up and running after your computer or hard drive or OS dies, The recovery partition is a small additional piece of that equation. The recovery comes with any new mac and you may or may not have the need for it but its small and in certain circumstances might come in handy.

CCC is also great to have for backing up folders and media that you want protected that might not be on your system drive. In short it will clone any part of any drive to any other part or whole of any drive.

Very easy to use.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]