FORUMS: list search recent posts

burning new timecode into clips.. is timecode useful at all?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Williams
burning new timecode into clips.. is timecode useful at all?
on Jan 19, 2015 at 2:14:01 am

Apparently in older versions of FCP we could either burn new timecode into clips or create "auxiliary" timecode. I'm receiving lots of footage without "locked" timecode, and sometimes with none at all. Is there a way to burn new timecode into a clip? Does anybody still use it in FCPX?

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
Re: burning new timecode into clips.. is timecode useful at all?
on Jan 19, 2015 at 8:38:55 am

A lot of people use QTchange for this.

hth,

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 19, 2015 at 11:44:01 pm

"Is timecode useful at all?"

Yes. And I'm a bit surprised at that question. It's the main way to track your footage. It's the "electronic sprocket holes" (sprocket holes are on film, sorry, an ancient format, I know) and keycode for video files. It's how you know where something is. If you have a 10 min clip, and something of interest at 4:15:00...you know where to look for it...where to tell someone else to look for it. Without it, you'd be saying "it's about halfway through the clip...but not quite half way. Just before half way." Let's say you have an interview that's an hour long...and you need 3 small chunks from it. How does your producer tell you where to find those? If you look yourself, how do you know where they are? How else would the NLE track where those came from?

It's a major way NLE systems track footage...even FCX. Reel number and time code...clip name, sure, but first is reel number (that's the name of the tape, or tapeless media that the footage came from) and time code. What reel...and where in that reel.

If you need to relink to footage, that's how NLE's know where to look...or if they have the right footage. A clip named "Sherwood Forest b-roll" with a reel number of CAMA_01192014 that starts at timecode 12:32:14:00 and ends at 12:45:16:18. Precise timing, and naming. If the media is removed...or accidentally deleted, and you need to relink. When you bring the media back...the NLE looks for that reel, and those starting and end times. If it can't find those, it won't relink.

Timecode is very important.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Williams
on Jan 20, 2015 at 3:48:17 pm

Shane,

Thanks! I'm having a lot of trouble trying to use timecode on FCPX. It seems as consumer and prosumer cams get more and more high quality, there is less and less chance to have timecode that matches on a multicam shoot, so sync is done via audio which doesn't rely on timecode. It seems once I make a multicam clip, it's very difficult to use timecode. Also, just in making an MC clip, I have to decide which of the many timecodes of the clips in the angles to use for the MC clip's TC.

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Feb 4, 2015 at 5:59:37 pm

So the answer to your first question Michael appears to be 'no'

I'd like to be able to do this too and in FCP legacy there was a filter for it.

Alan

XdcamEx & HD, C300, DSLRs, all sorts of production & post gear and a very untidy desk. On the East Coast of the UK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]