FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to determin your proxy files from other files in an old event

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Karl Madsen
How to determin your proxy files from other files in an old event
on Jan 17, 2015 at 5:47:05 pm

I have an old project that I need to work on again. Now in this project there is a mix of proxy files and non-proxy files.

I would like to replace the proxy files with original ones but I don't remember which were imported as proxy.
Now I've clicked on the info on my files in the event, but I cant find any info that tells me what I need to know

I guess the the file size could tell me something about this, but Isn't there a simple way of determine your proxies?

Tanks.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: How to determin your proxy files from other files in an old event
on Jan 17, 2015 at 7:04:14 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Jan 17, 2015 at 7:08:06 pm

Generally speaking, X doesn't really "replace" files like that. In your project, the program just REFERENCES one form of clip or another.

You should have a pool of Original clips somewhere (whatever was originally imported), potentially another pool of Optimized media (if the shooting format required that and transcoding was invoked on import), and, potentially, a third pool of Proxy media if THAT was selected at some point.

When you switch X from one mode to another, it just switches the pointers between the content pools.

It never really "replaces" anything in that sense. Just re-links.

If you're showing clips being offline, then the pointers lead to dead addresses - which is another issue, but not one of technical "replacement."

The test is to simply change your viewer between Optimized/Original and Proxy in the little disclosure triangle at the far right top of the viewer window. What stays RED shows you what requires either locating or re-rendering.

Hope that helps.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Re: How to determin your proxy files from other files in an old event
on Jan 18, 2015 at 1:25:14 am

try the info tab in the inspector with a clip selected. you can reveal in finder as well.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]