FORUMS: list search recent posts

Removing timer from the footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lucy Slavinsky
Removing timer from the footage
on Jan 15, 2015 at 11:21:51 pm

I made a huge mistake and left a timer on while shooting a footage. Is there any way to remove it or cover it in FCPX?

Also I have AF, but I haven't used it much. I am proficient in Photoshop if it helps. Any suggestions are highly appreciated. It it utterly embarrassing even to ask, but I want to do everything possible not to let my client down.
Thank you in advance.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: Removing timer from the footage
on Jan 15, 2015 at 11:37:41 pm

Not sure it's help, as you've got movement beind the burn-in, but the Object Remover in the slice-x package might work.

http://www.coremelt.com/products/slicex-powered-by-mocha.html

Based on where it's located in the frame, it's gonna be tough... You could crop the frame at the bottom and move the whole shot(s) down so it looks letterboxed...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Lucy Slavinsky
on Jan 16, 2015 at 12:06:45 am

Yes, its a great tool. I am a little bit familiar with Mocha. I only want to make sure if it will be able to remove the timer.
Crop the image is another option, I have already tried it but unfortunately I am not able to fit the speakers in the screen. If I scale it up I am loosing the quality. I wonder if there any other trick to cover the digits. Lower third is another option, but I cant keep up it for an hour interview. Thank you very much for the tip.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jan 16, 2015 at 12:41:29 am

[Lucy Slavinsky] " I have already tried it but unfortunately I am not able to fit the speakers in the screen"

Try trimming the bottom of the frame to lose the numbers, the reposition the entire shot (without scaling it up) so there;s an equal "letterbox" at the top and bottom...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 16, 2015 at 12:42:57 am

Did you shoot in 1080?

Edit in a 720p timeline and crop.

Return to posts index

Lucy Slavinsky
on Jan 16, 2015 at 1:07:47 am

Great Idea! Can I change properties of the project any time while I am editing?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 16, 2015 at 1:28:01 am

Yes. Command-j then click the Modify button in the inspector.

Return to posts index

Lucy Slavinsky
on Jan 16, 2015 at 1:35:38 am

Thank you very much!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 16, 2015 at 5:46:31 am

Maybe a stupid question... but are you sure this is really burned-in, or just made visible when you transferred the originals? I ask because contemporary camcorders can turn that burn-in on and off with a menu switch, so if you can re-import from the camera with that burn turned-off, you're golden. Might want to peruse the user manuals for the camera to see if this is possible. I only bring it up because that was the case for one or two others with this problem.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jan 16, 2015 at 2:24:56 pm

[Mark Suszko] "but are you sure this is really burned-in, or just made visible when you transferred the originals? "

Yeah. Seems very odd that no one would have noticed it during the shoot. It's not exactly inconspicuous. :)

I don't actually see how one could get it out, if in fact burned in. If it were a still, then maybe, but even that would most likely end up pretty ugly. But a running timecode?! I say: no way.

If the 720 crop doesn't work (whereby I don't see how that's any different than scaling the 1080, as far as getting the speakers in), then I'd say you're only left with finding a creative way of simply covering it with something. Maybe something along the lines of your classic, graphically cropped news screen.

- RK

Return to posts index

Lucy Slavinsky
on Jan 16, 2015 at 3:02:04 pm

Thank you very much for the respond. This is a Sony A1U camcorder, not very contemporary. I will try to reimport with the timer off. Thanks again. Such a simple idea!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]