FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multi-cam Technique Suggestions Needed....

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Bellew
Multi-cam Technique Suggestions Needed....
on Jan 15, 2015 at 6:41:01 pm

I've been struggling with this for a while & searches haven't helped.

I edit demo videos with anywhere from 2-4 camera range that usually start out to be about 10-20 minutes long.

Often times during the demos there are pauses in the 3-30 second range while the talent works with their hands to demonstrate what they are talking about.

The common issue is that often times the there is minimal activity during the narration (boring B-roll), and then minimal narration during the good B-roll)....

Basically, they say "now I'm going to do XYZ". Then they do XYZ.
So, we end up doing a mini-montage while they are describing XYZ.

The problems I run into have to do with the magnetic timeline & syn'cing audio after the edits when we continue on into the demo.

I've dried seperating the audio & cutting it up (below primary), cutting video on secondary, etc. etc.

Every way seems to to take 10x longer than FCP7 (excuse the pun).. Anyone have any working solutions?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Multi-cam Technique Suggestions Needed....
on Jan 15, 2015 at 7:45:15 pm

I am having trouble understanding what you need help with.

IF they say, I am going to do XYZ, then put the XYZ broll on top of that.

Return to posts index

Mike Bellew
on Jan 15, 2015 at 8:08:07 pm

Previously, I'd use slip/slide.

It isn't B-roll per say, it's footage recorded a few seconds later or before.

The problem has to do with keeping everything in sync after the edit points.

If you select ranges of audio & delete them, select ranges of video & delete them, then everying after that point is now out of sync.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jan 15, 2015 at 8:16:33 pm
Last Edited By Jeff Kirkland on Jan 15, 2015 at 8:19:14 pm

Not sure I 100% get how you're approaching it now but I cant ell you how I do similar.

In my case, the demos are shot with three or four cameras. One camera is usually a wide-ish shot of the talent presenting, the others are detail shots from different angles. The demos run 10-15 minutes each before editing.

I build the narration and overall demo from the wide shot on the primary storyline. I then go back and add secondary storylines or connected clips where appropriate, grabbing b-roll footage from the browser to show the detail. The b-roll action has to match audio from the primary storyline but it's not critical it be frame accurate so I just eyeball the sync if I have to.

Occasionally we have two angles of the presenter talking so I'll make a multicam of them to build the primary storyline but I'll still end up just grabbing the b-roll from the clip browser rather than messing with multi-cam.

Anyway, that's what works for me. Everything is shot with my editing approach in mind and It takes me maybe an hour to get a rough cut down.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Mike Bellew
on Jan 15, 2015 at 8:43:25 pm

That's close to the same style Jeff.

I've experimented with numerous styles.

The easiest I've found it multi-cam, then copy & paste the last clip (some times is 20m long) onto the secondary storyline, & then get rid of it's audio.
Cut the montage on the secondary, & then cut back to the primary, deleting the remaining 18 minute clip on the secondary. Repeat that 10 seconds later.

It just gets frustrating if you want to come back to different angle on the primary & it isn't already selected ( changes angles automatically applies to the secondary SL, not the primary).
Plus the clips layered above must be a storyline to become magnetic.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jan 15, 2015 at 9:39:24 pm

I don't know if this is totally relevant to your situation but I make a full multicam, then I make a second cleaned up multicam before I start editing. Lay out your narration with that -then use the first one to grab whatever b-roll you need to overlay.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]