FCPX 10.1.4 paste effect command bug

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Yamini Upadhye
FCPX 10.1.4 paste effect command bug
on Jan 15, 2015 at 5:03:07 pm
Last Edited By Yamini Upadhye on Mar 4, 2015 at 2:51:04 pm

Hello,

This is in sheer desperation. Never had a problem before, but after FCPX 10.1.4 auto-upgrade, the paste effect command - command+shift+V - is crashing my FCPX app. I am on OS Maverick. I don't have extra third party plugins, nor was I copying many effects; just simple basic Audio attributes and a voice over filter. And this problem is occurring quite often, even after trashing prefs and the usual re-boot etc. It is very annoying to repeat all the audio attributes and basic EG, Pan settings on a 44 minute documentary...
Any thoughts.. ?

Thank you very much for this forum.

yamini

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: FCPX 10.1.4 paste effect command bug
on Jan 15, 2015 at 7:07:39 pm

[Yamini Upadhye] "the paste effect command - command+shift+V"

That's actually the Paste Attributes command. The actual Paste Effects command is ⌘V. Have you tried that and does it crash also?

- RK

Return to posts index

Yamini Upadhye
on Jan 15, 2015 at 7:34:41 pm

Thanks for responding Robin. Yes, it crashes on both. This situation has occurred many times. I wonder what triggers it to crash. It works most times and sometimes crashes. Once it was crashing while pasting video attributes.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 15, 2015 at 10:54:36 pm

I'd go through the typical preferences reset moves first- this sounds system specific.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Yamini Upadhye
on Jan 16, 2015 at 4:24:50 am

Thanks Noah..
Yes, I have been doing the usual reset pref rounds. Sometimes the problem persists even after trashing prefs, tried different projects, different libraries, the fcpx keeps quitting on just copy attributes/effects commands, when I try going via dropdown menu, it quits. And then gets okay on its own. If it is a system issue, is there a way to fix it?
Last night FCPx was quitting if I was importing clips large number of DSLR clips, from different folders. ( didn't have these problems on cracked version two years ago on the same system ! )
Crazy ..

Y

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jan 16, 2015 at 8:56:20 am

[Yamini Upadhye] "didn't have these problems on cracked version two years ago"

Two years?? You realize of course what has happened in that time, right? And on how many levels?

Either way it's certainly not normal for FCP to be doing this, so it clearly must be either machine or footage related. You'll simply want to do a complete clean install of your OS and work your way up from there. Unless you have some hardware issues you're not aware of, I can pretty much guarantee that the issue will disappear as soon as you do.

- RK

Return to posts index

Yamini Upadhye
on Jan 16, 2015 at 11:28:54 am

Thanks Robin, I think you missed what I mentioned in my first post.
This problem started with 10.1.4 auto-upgrade.
10.1.3 was super, Fyi, i just wrapped a 15 angle multi-cam edit for a four hour live show without a problem. FCPX media handling is fantastic on my 12GB ram Imac. Kudos to the apple people for that.

I do understand the process of tech evolution as well as perils of working on outdated hardware. Well, I am neither working on outdated hardware nor on an obsolete OS.

What you have proposed is a last resort. I was hoping to find an intelligent way to fix the problem.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jan 16, 2015 at 12:51:24 pm

Ah yes, I guess I did miss that. My bad.

Then I would maybe try the usual housekeeping tips. Such as checking privileges, disk etc. I personally like to use Onyx for a whole battery of things every once in a while. Or even try reinstalling FCP again. Of course the details pane from the crash would at least point to the general direction of the reason for the crash, if not straight out tell you. Something you might consider checking next time.

- RK

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jan 18, 2015 at 3:14:13 am

I've zapped buggy behavior in FC by trashing the app, you loose nothing but preferences, and doing a fresh download from the app store. Painless, quick, and a fresh copy often does the trick.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jan 18, 2015 at 2:10:27 pm

[Craig Alan] "you loose nothing but preferences"

Actually, trashing the app does nothing to the prefs, since those live in the user's library. If the prefs are your problem, then trashing the app won't actually do anything. To delete the prefs you need to trash them separately either by hand or by starting FCP X whilst holding down the ⌥ and ⌘ keys.

- RK

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jan 18, 2015 at 3:51:59 pm

i trash the FC support files before installing clean.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202412

this is for mavericks but i assume there's one for Yosemite.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Yamini Upadhye
on Jan 28, 2015 at 2:36:44 pm

Thanks Ron,

It seems 'background noise removal' was the problem.
I will trash the app and re-load anyway.

Thank you so much

Yamini

Return to posts index

Yamini Upadhye
on Jan 28, 2015 at 12:00:16 pm

Hi Mike

I didn't re-load FCPX coz I am in middle of a project which is in approval stage. I waited for the bug to re-appear. I usually do not enable the in-built 'background noise removal' audio analysis feature. Just now i enabled this feature on an interview byte i am working on; I copy paste attributes on next clip, and fcpx quits again. I re-opened the app, disabled the background noise removal audio analysis feature, copy paste attributes again, and YO! the box appears! :-) and FCPX behaves normal..
So thank you so so so so very much! I will re-download the app again in any case.

Return to posts index

Mike Fitzsimmons
on Jan 16, 2015 at 2:56:57 pm

Hey...

Just a thought... but I remember a bug like this a few years ago that I thought was fixed, but you might see what happens if you turn off "Background Noise Reduction" in the effects you've using.

There was one project I was working on where either the paste effects didn't work at all, or work take my system down. Once I turned that effect off in my "copy" all worked fine. BTW - I know it's not audio, but I also remember having weird issues like this with projects with VERY large still images in them. Check sizes if so.

BTW - I also agree with earlier post that you might try using "Paste Attributes" instead.

I don't seem to have the issue anymore, but there are a couple other things you might try if that doesn't work:

First, back all your projects up if you haven't already. Should something else be going on, it can't hurt. Try deleting the FCPX application entirely and reinstall (not as troublesome or scary as it sounds - your projects are unaffected).

Or, boot from another OS (if you have another drive or partition) to see if it's OS related. Could be some "Core Audio" issue that needs to be fixed.

No real harm in trying this as well - try copying your entire project (from the timeline) and paste it into a new one. Sometimes it seems there's some shred of code that mucks things up that doesn't get carried forward when doing this.

Hope something works. Best of luck!

Also, it might be too late to even mention, but you should avoid updates mid-project.

Return to posts index

Yamini Upadhye
on Jan 28, 2015 at 2:29:21 pm

Hi Mike

I didn't re-load FCPX coz I am in middle of a project which is in approval stage. I waited for the bug to re-appear. I usually do not enable the in-built 'background noise removal' audio analysis feature. Just now i enabled this feature on an interview byte i am working on; I copy paste attributes on next clip, and fcpx quits again. I re-opened the app, disabled the background noise removal audio analysis feature, copy paste attributes again, and YO! the box appears! :-) and FCPX behaves normal..
So thank you so so so so very much! I will re-download the app again in any case.

Yamini

Return to posts index

Mike Fitzsimmons
on Jan 30, 2015 at 2:51:21 am

Glad it seemed to help!!!

Return to posts index

Dave Stucke
on May 4, 2016 at 10:17:44 pm

This bug is exactly the same for me on FCP10.1.4. It crashed over 20 times today, as I tried different workarounds. Yours was the trick. The background noise removal tools are not as fine as the EQ FX, so I don't use them much, anyway. Thank you so much for helping us out.

Dave Stucke
MacBookPro15"-2014/16GB/256SSD/FCP 10.1.4

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]