FORUMS: list search recent posts

Relinked files playing black in timeline

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Townsend
Relinked files playing black in timeline
on Jan 14, 2015 at 5:09:47 am

I just switched an event/project from one computer to an external HD to edit on another computer. I used FCPX to Move the Event & Project files. Then when I opened up on other computer, the files were not linked and I got the "files need to match exactly etc etc….." message. So I manually placed all the files through Finder in the Original Media folder, went into FCPX to relink files and it seem to relink them. However, the clips show up intact in the viewer, but they playback either all black or flashing in and out of black in the timeline. Any ideas what I did wrong?

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: Relinked files playing black in timeline
on Jan 15, 2015 at 1:48:27 pm

Could it be that you're not using the most current version of FCP? Because if your were, simply consolidating the library and copying that in the Finder to the other computer should be all that you need. There is no separation of events and projects as of 10.1.

- RK

Return to posts index

David Townsend
on Jan 15, 2015 at 5:46:59 pm

I'll try that, as I'm still on 10.0.9. I have projects scattered over multiple drives, so if I follow your method, I could move events and projects without using the "Move" option within FCPX?

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jan 15, 2015 at 6:58:55 pm

Um, sorry, but... why would you still be using 10.0.9? It's not like updating costs anything.

But yeah, as of 10.1 there is no need to use the Move command from within FCP X anymore, which was in fact essential up until then, to make sure nothing broke (as it has with you). Moving/copying libraries at random in the Finder is completely nonhazardous with FCP >10.1.

I would highly recommend making the jump! And once you do and before you fire it up for the first time, be sure to follow Philips suggestion as described here: http://www.philiphodgetts.com/2013/12/upgrade-your-events-and-project-to-fc... to save yourself a lot of dragging and head-scratching!! (It's not that it won't work without it, go wrong or break anything, it just saves you a lot of time)

After that, be sure sure to watch THESE to get familiar with the most important changes! http://www.rippletraining.com/fcpx-features.html

- RK

Return to posts index

David Townsend
on Jan 15, 2015 at 7:02:40 pm

To be honest I hadn't used FCPX much at all lately, and never saw any update notifications. I'll get on it though, as that is a HUGE update for me. Thanks a ton for the links, I'll follow those tutorials and make my life easier. Cheers!

Return to posts index

David Townsend
on Jan 15, 2015 at 7:15:01 pm

….then again, didn't realize you need OS Mavericks or later to run it. blah. Unfortunately no time to test my 2009 Mac Pro with multiple non-SSD drives, fact-finding whether this app and that app will or won't be compatible with it.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jan 15, 2015 at 7:33:24 pm

[David Townsend] "with multiple non-SSD drives,"

Don't see why SSD drives of all things should be any sort of issue.

[David Townsend] "fact-finding whether this app and that app will or won't be compatible with it."

http://roaringapps.com/apps

- RK

Return to posts index

David Townsend
on Jan 15, 2015 at 9:49:14 pm

Robin, that was just something I briefly read about Yosemite being optimized for systems with SSD drives. That's not so much an issue for me, moreso the software compatibility issues that could arise. I've been burned on that in the past with older updates and 3rd party programs that we are using in our daily workflow.

Return to posts index

David Townsend
on Jan 15, 2015 at 9:51:21 pm

Nice! Something like roaring apps.com was my next search. Thanks for the link!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]