FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export Project as Clips for DaVinci using FCP X

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David McClellan
Export Project as Clips for DaVinci using FCP X
on Jan 12, 2015 at 8:16:13 pm

I have a feature that is about to be color corrected at a DaVinci Resolve suite and I need to export a complicated timeline (project... whatever...) that has fades, dissolves, speed changes, multi cam clips and a variety of mixed 1080 & 4K footage. Am I stuck buying Clip Exporter2 or is there a way to do this from within FCPX? The straight XML export won't work as far as I know as I will lose sync and lose all of the speed changes. I am trying to keep it so the cut remains in sync. I am looking for the best way to do this so that my roundtrip is the least painful and my sound work all remains in sync when I get it back.

-DM

2013 MacPro 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 64BG Ram
LG 31MU97 4K Display
2013 MacBookPro Retina

Return to posts index

Francois Jean
Re: Export Project as Clips for DaVinci using FCP X
on Jan 12, 2015 at 10:11:38 pm

Hi David
You don't need "clipexporter" for this purpose... only matching version of FCPX and DVR. The fcpxml file is very well interpreted by the corresponding software FCPX 10.1.4 -> DVR 11.1.3 . This will do a pretty good job as long as media is outside library and available for both sofwares.

Return to posts index

David McClellan
on Jan 12, 2015 at 10:24:55 pm

Thanks. I have all of the media contained inside a single FCPX library as optimized media. Is that an issue?

-DM

LG 31MU97 4K Display
2013 MacBookPro Retina

Return to posts index

Francois Jean
on Jan 12, 2015 at 10:41:41 pm

DVR can't acces media inside a bundle but if original (none optimized media) is available in a separate folder and your metadata is clean ( TC , Reel , angle etc ) , DVR should reconnect to it correctly, if the original media is preloaded in the DVR media pool prior to importing the fcpxml file in the edit panel.

FRANCOIS

Return to posts index

David McClellan
on Jan 12, 2015 at 11:54:08 pm

Yeah that may prove problematic for about 5-10% of my media was dragged in after the fact from separate drives, reshoots, inserts, and stock footage etc... I have been using FCPX's optimised library management system as my main working media dump and backing the working library up nightly. So barring that hiccup - I'm pretty much buying ClipExporter2 then correct?

-DM

LG 31MU97 4K Display
2013 MacBookPro Retina

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 13, 2015 at 12:52:20 am

Consolidate your library to a single folder. Then export XML for davinci.

Return to posts index

Francois Jean
on Jan 13, 2015 at 1:02:21 am

AS Bret says
for using your optimized media but I always prefer to grade on the original camera files...
Clipexporter is more for VFX thus truncating clips, sections of a timeline for sending to compositing software.

FRANCOIS

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 13, 2015 at 1:05:35 am

In my limited resolve experience, the xml from FCP X has always referenced the original camera files, even if I have optimized versions.

Return to posts index

Francois Jean
on Jan 13, 2015 at 1:11:58 am

Quite logical ,
sorry I missed that

FRANCOIS

Return to posts index

David McClellan
on Jan 13, 2015 at 1:32:02 am

So - I'm going to export an XML of the project and give them that and a hard drive with the entire contained FCPX Library. Am I correct in assuming that all of the speed changes, transitions and multi clip edits will open in DaVinci? There are no other effects - just the basics - a few dissolves, some speed changes and that is about it. I could also break it up into 10 minute reels so that it is not one 90 minute file. That may be easier.

-DM

LG 31MU97 4K Display
2013 MacBookPro Retina

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jan 13, 2015 at 2:06:48 pm

[Zachary Potter] "DVR can't acces media inside a bundle"

Not actually true. Resolve sees FCP X Libraries as regular folders that can be accessed as any other.

No need for any breaking up or ClipExporter or what not. Simply be sure to consolidate your library (be it to the library itself or elsewhere), export an FCPXML and include the library (or folder) you consolidated to, done. As of v11 I know of little (some special plugins), if anything, that can't be correctly interpreted by DVR. Even any color-corrections you may have done are translated (optionally).

- RK

Return to posts index

David McClellan
on Jan 13, 2015 at 2:41:31 pm

OK -- that's great! The simple solution I was hoping for. Thanks!

-DM

LG 31MU97 4K Display
2013 MacBookPro Retina

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]