FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX slows down mac pro and/or crashes OSX during export.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andre van Berlo
FCPX slows down mac pro and/or crashes OSX during export.
on Jan 12, 2015 at 1:20:44 pm

Hi everyone,

I thought I’d ask here to hopefully get some answers to why FCPX is under performing and why my Mac slows down during export. Sometimes (lately many times) my mac pro just hangs and I have to reboot. Sometimes I have Logic Pro X open too but when I look at activity monitor cpu hardly break a sweat and plenty of RAM left.

I make video tutorials for youtube mostly (I know, not very sexy). This means that I have 3 cameras within the frame all the time. All footage is synced with external audio (AIFF). I’m editing 3 1080p camera footage (GH3) and all footage has been transcoded/optimised.
I use the built in keyer on footage from cam1. I use c2 lock n load on cam 2 and 3. Couple of titles in there, that’s it.

The activity monitor shows that cores are 75% idle (why?) and that only 14 GB RAM out of 32GB is used. The mac warms up quite a but so perhaps most is done by the D700’s. But then the question remains: why does my mac slow down when there are so many resources left? Are more of you experiencing that the 2013 mac pro gets slow with fcpx or that OSX starts to slow down a lot during export?

Hardware:
Caldigit T3(HDD)
Mac Pro 2013 (6 core, D700, 32GB)

Software:
Mavericks OSX 10.9.5 (I did a fresh install half year ago when updating to FCPX 10.1.x)
Final Cut Pro X 10.1.3
mObject (not used in current projects)
Motion VFX Project
c2 lock n load
Ripple Callouts
Industrial Revolution Volume Metrix (not used in footage)
mLogo
Stupid Raisins symbol pop (not used in project)

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: FCPX slows down mac pro and/or crashes OSX during export.
on Jan 12, 2015 at 3:54:02 pm

FCPX uses the GPU for exporting not the CPU so looking at CPU usage during export wouldn't tell you a lot.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Jan 12, 2015 at 5:02:37 pm

But if cpu isn't used, why does the system slow down and crash/hang?

Return to posts index

Darrick Vanderwier
on Jan 12, 2015 at 7:01:53 pm

I am experiencing the exact same issues. Latest fcpx and entry level latest Mac Pro. 32 gig of ram.

Return to posts index

Darrick Vanderwier
on Jan 14, 2015 at 3:24:30 pm

Andre, any chance you would upgrade to Yosemite and see if that fixes your issues? I am considering trying it myself since I have little to lose unless someone tells me not to. I'll look at issues with Yosemite and fcpx first but if anyone wants to warm me away from doing that I'm all ears at this point. ;) Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jan 15, 2015 at 4:42:27 pm

There are absolutely no issues with FCP X 10.1.4 and Yosemite that at least *I've* heard of. But either way it sounds to me that both of you should, first and foremost, do a complete clean install of your OS, no matter the version. With only the most necessary to start with. Just to be sure it's not some 3rd party software or hardware that is causing it. Because I for one can't confirm issues of that kind and nothing described seems terribly out of the ordinary or even resource hungry enough to cause it. An occasional restart of FCP if it's been running a very long time, sure. But certainly not an entire machine crash/restart!

Worst case (after the clean install)... Apple Care?

Good luck.

- RK

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Jan 16, 2015 at 5:07:54 pm

Thanks, i'm considering the clean install. I've checked a couple of tutorials on how to best do that but none mention how to transfer all the licenses for the software. Or how to disable them in the current install first. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Andre

Return to posts index

Darrick Vanderwier
on Jan 16, 2015 at 5:33:21 pm

Good news over here. We updated to the latest version of Yosemite and confirmed we had the latest version of FCPX and now everything runs super smooth and reduce loudly fast. We rarely upgrade until IT says it's ok to. But in this instance we had nothing to loose so we tried it and it works. Just an upgrade not a clean instal. We would do that as our next plan of attack but doesn't look like it is required at this time. Hope that helps anyone out there.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jan 17, 2015 at 10:26:48 am

[Andre van Berlo] "I've checked a couple of tutorials on how to best do that but none mention how to transfer all the licenses for the software. Or how to disable them in the current install first."

Do you mean FCP X?? There is no disabling or uninstalling. You just trash it and reload it from the App Store when needed. Whenever and as often as you like.

- RK

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Jan 17, 2015 at 11:36:27 am

Hi Robin,

no I mean all the other apps on my mac. The adobe master collection, various audio programs like melodyne editor. As an end user you are only allowed a few installs. How do I transfer those licenses properly to my new OSX install?

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jan 20, 2015 at 7:23:05 pm

Any apps, such as the Adobe ones, that need ACTIVATION will also have a DEACTIVATION or DEAUTHORIZE option. Simply look for it in the (usually Help) menus or search their support.

- RK

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Jan 20, 2015 at 8:35:56 pm

thanks,

I will check to make sure I don't delete anything before I've properly deactivated them.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]