FORUMS: list search recent posts

Crisis! All my film material just disappeared

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Morten Slemdal
Crisis! All my film material just disappeared
on Jan 11, 2015 at 8:20:33 am

I`ve been cutting my movie, and when opening it up this morning - everything is gone. Its not my hard drive, because all other stuff is in there. And i´ve looked at the project in finder, and everything is in there. How do I fix this? See my screenshots

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
Re: Crisis! All my film material just disappeared
on Jan 11, 2015 at 1:05:23 pm

I suppose you have already done the most obvious troubleshooting steps?

1. Close FCP X and launch it again.
If this does not help:

2. Close FCP X and launch it again while keeping the ALT+CMD keys pressed down. You will get a message asking you if you want to delete your FCP X preferences. Confirm and let FCP X launch, then open your Library and check if everything is OK.
If this does not help:

3. Select the "USA...TRIP" Library and choose File > Open Library > From Backup. Select the most recent backup of your Library and click Open.

This will open the latest backup of your work while keeping your current Library untouched. Check if everything works fine with the backup Library.

If this still does not help: post back.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Morten Slemdal
on Jan 11, 2015 at 1:34:52 pm

Ok, I tried all, and it doesn't help. When opening the backup all media is offline. I`m really confused. Why did this happen. Ahhh. I guess I can relink from last backup, but this just make me so... sad.

Return to posts index

Morten Slemdal
on Jan 11, 2015 at 1:36:01 pm

Could I just open the event from bundle? Other easy workarounds?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 11, 2015 at 2:02:27 pm

Did you modify your FCPX bundle in the Finder recently?

Return to posts index

Morten Slemdal
on Jan 11, 2015 at 2:08:03 pm

Nope - havn't been inside my bundle for months - and the strange thing is that the event is inside the bundle, with all it's content, but it won't load inside fcpx. And as I said - my back up shows off line media.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 11, 2015 at 2:24:49 pm

[Morten Slemdal] "And as I said - my back up shows off line media."

That becuase your media is managed in your original bundle. You would have to relink to that media or move ht media outside of the original bundle and relink.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 11, 2015 at 4:08:42 pm

I don't have an answer but I couldn't help but notice that "film material" doesn't have a STAR icon in front of it which seems to imply that FCP X doesn't think it's an EVENT.

It looks like your library may be corrupt because I couldn't recreate this in FCP X normally. You need to get it to recognize that folder as an event again.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Morten Slemdal
on Jan 11, 2015 at 4:24:19 pm

Jupp - I know - it doesn't understand this as an event. Really strange. I opened my last backup, and relinked all media, and that worked.

Should I make a Brand new library, and drag all the events into it, just to have a fresh start? By the way, when Try to delete the film material, with no star in front - fcpx always crashes.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 11, 2015 at 7:09:56 pm

[Morten Slemdal] "Should I make a Brand new library, and drag all the events into it, just to have a fresh start? By the way, when Try to delete the film material, with no star in front - fcpx always crashes."
Yea. I would make a new library and move the events over leaving the corrupt one behind just to be safe.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jan 13, 2015 at 1:43:00 pm

This might not work for you but a few months ago same thing happened to me.
My only fix at that time was to re-import the whole lot into a new Event.
Then I dragged it all over to the older Event.
Now the non-Event point Im a little iffy about.
That Ive seen before.

Return to posts index

Terry Connell
on Jan 4, 2016 at 11:11:05 am

spent hours editing hour long doc of recent holiday....opened it up later completely disappeared ..what a crap editing system

Return to posts index

Phil Lowe
on Jan 4, 2016 at 12:56:18 pm

[Terry Connell] "spent hours editing hour long doc of recent holiday....opened it up later completely disappeared ..what a crap editing system"

It's funny that I never hear or read media management as a selling point for X. Go figure.

Canon XF-300, Canon 5DMkIII, Canon 7D MkII, Avid Media Composer 7.05, Adobe CC 2015, iMovie Pro.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jan 4, 2016 at 1:08:48 pm

Where is your backup?

Where were you storing your media?

What version are you running?

http://www.bottegabattistella.com/blog/

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 4, 2016 at 1:38:53 pm

Honestly, Phil.

Please take the shivs to the debate forum. This is the techniques forum. We try to keep it civil here and offer help.

Return to posts index

Phil Lowe
on Jan 4, 2016 at 3:05:36 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Honestly, Phil.

Please take the shivs to the debate forum. This is the techniques forum. We try to keep it civil here and offer help."

I was being civil. I did not criticize anyone. I was simply agreeing - in so many words - with the person who wrote, "spent hours editing hour long doc of recent holiday....opened it up later completely disappeared ..what a crap editing system."

Media management in X isn't an issue? Sure sounds like it to me.

Maybe I'm a little guilty of piling on, but here's the thing: I wasn't piling on a person.

Peace. Out.

Canon XF-300, Canon 5DMkIII, Canon 7D MkII, Avid Media Composer 7.05, Adobe CC 2015, iMovie Pro.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 8, 2016 at 2:22:03 am

[Phil Lowe] "I was being civil. I did not criticize anyone. I was simply agreeing - in so many words - with the person who wrote, "spent hours editing hour long doc of recent holiday....opened it up later completely disappeared ..what a crap editing system."

Media management in X isn't an issue? Sure sounds like it to me.

Maybe I'm a little guilty of piling on, but here's the thing: I wasn't piling on a person.

Peace. Out."

No, but you WERE kinda piling ignorance on top of ignorance.

As a professional editor working with FCP X, I understand that I'm getting HUGE benefits of editing entirely on SSDs now - but to safely get that performance boost - I had to come to terms with what editing IS in 2016 rather than what it used to be.

My field cards come back and are cloned to 3 locations prior to ingest. Since X is auto-saving EVERY keystroke in real time, Everything gets Time Machine archived into a FIRE SAFE that has a USB port. Even WITH the audio system taking care of stuff, I STILL take the time to drop important work in progress into my SAFE DRIVE whenever I do a Snapshot or make complex changes.

Is it still possible to lose a little work if I'm super unlucky? Sure. But the chances are slim to none that I'll lose anything significant. That an editor had lousy data protection practices in 2016 is CRAZY. It hardly takes seconds to export an XML to a thumb drive in X. It's a TRIVIAL task even if you can't afford anything beyond a $5.99 thumb drive at the supermarket. If you don't condition yourself for safe computing in an era of overloaded power grids and mass produced cheap computer components - you're nuts.

If you haven't yet learned to work safely in a file based world, I'm sorry, but it's nobody's fault but you own.

The practices we had when the work was on a 20 min BetaSP load just don't cut it today. You HAVE to change practices.

If I can do all this in a spare suburban bedroom after getting tired of paying commercial rents for 25 years - you can surely do the same in any office on the planet. It's just not that expensive nor that hard to be "data safe" anymore.

And the tools X provides - constant keystroke saving - XML export at BOTH the Library and Project level - and automated Time Machine built directly into the OS - if it gets screwed up it's not ANY software's fault because they ALL crash.

X is a professional editing system, NOT a personal incompetence blocker.

My 2 cents.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Phil Lowe
on Jan 11, 2016 at 7:17:14 pm

[Bill Davis] "No, but you WERE kinda piling ignorance on top of ignorance."

I would venture to guess that anyone who's a professional editor makes backups, Bill. It sounds to me that, in spite of backups, media can get lost in X, which is what you also stated here:

[Bill Davis] "Is it still possible to lose a little work if I'm super unlucky? Sure."

So tell me how losing work makes one "incompetent" when the dog...er...FCPX "eats" your homework, despite adhering to best practices when it comes to protecting your media???

There's no question I loathe FCPX, and criticize everything I find wrong with it. But to call someone "ignorant" when you've essentially agreed with them, reveals your bias, too. You seem to find nothing wrong with X, despite other people's experiences with it. That's fine, but it doesn't justify your overly aggressive defense of it.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 11, 2016 at 10:13:08 pm

[Phil Lowe] "There's no question I loathe FCPX, and criticize everything I find wrong with it. But to call someone "ignorant" when you've essentially agreed with them, reveals your bias, too. You seem to find nothing wrong with X, despite other people's experiences with it. That's fine, but it doesn't justify your overly aggressive defense of it."

Actually, I think the fact that I've actually personally USED it for the last 4 years plus - and you have not - perfectly justifies my aggressive defense of it.

If a million people use it successfully and don't lose any work - and perhaps 1000 forum complainers with various levels of competency and experience do - it's quite possible that the problem isn't actually with the software.

That's worth pointing out.

Have a nice day.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]