FORUMS: list search recent posts

Disclosure triangles in Video Animation Window

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Landman
Disclosure triangles in Video Animation Window
on Jan 11, 2015 at 1:48:06 am

I'm still pretty new to FCPX and decided to dive in and try a real-life project with it. There are parts of it that I really like, and then there are others....

I'm trying to adjust keyframe interpolation on a simple 2 keyframe animation. FCPX is adding a strange dip in the middle. I opened the Video Animation window but the only parameter that has a Disclosure triangle next to it is Compositing (which isn't animated). The only properties which are animated are scale and position. I can see the keyframes in the window, I can delete them or move them, but I can't change the interpolation.

Am I making a newbie mistake and overlooking something simple, or is this a known problem?

I'd really appreciate any advice anyone might have.

I'm running FCP 10.1.4 on an early 2008 MacPro with 16GB RAM and OSX 10.9.5

Thanks.

Mark

Mark Landman
PM Productions
Champaign, IL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Disclosure triangles in Video Animation Window
on Jan 11, 2015 at 2:16:27 pm

Right click the key frames in the viewer and change from smooth to linear.

That being said, the key frame interpolation in fcpx is really weird.

Return to posts index

Mark Landman
on Jan 11, 2015 at 4:07:11 pm

Thanks for your response Jeremy. That's how I thought it was supposed to work, but there's something strange going on with my version of FCPX.

When you open the Video Animation window, there is no disclosure triangle for Transform. When I select Position I can see the keyframes. I can move them in time or delete them, but I can change the interpolation or see the curves. If I select a keyframe and right-click, the only option I'm given is 'Delete'.

This must be something specific to my installation of FCPX. I can't imagine that a bug for such a basic function would be allowed out. It looks like I'll have to try re-installing FCPX. Do you know of any issues I should be aware of when trying to reinstall?

Thanks again.

Mark Landman
PM Productions
Champaign, IL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 11, 2015 at 4:18:45 pm

This is done in the viewer, not the timeline.

Hit shift-t, go to the viewer, and right click the key frames. You can also control the curve and speed with the handles, but as mentioned, this process could be a lot better.

Return to posts index

Mark Landman
on Jan 11, 2015 at 4:46:26 pm

Thanks Jeremy!! That took care of my problem. I was about to pull out what little is left of my hair. You're a lifesaver.

So what I posted in the screen caps is normal behavior? I did a few searches about keyframe interpolation in FCPX and they mentioned using the Video Animation window and opening a curve editor by pressing the disclosure triangle next to the parameter. If only one parameter has a disclosure triangle, the window seems rather pointless.

Oh well, back to work.

Thank you.

Mark Landman
PM Productions
Champaign, IL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 11, 2015 at 6:56:26 pm

I only use the video animation pop up to move key frames up and down in time. It's very handy for that. I have never edited the curve within the video animation window, only the viewer. Maybe that capability was there early on, but it's gone now.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 12, 2015 at 3:28:55 am
Last Edited By Bret Williams on Jan 12, 2015 at 3:29:13 am

I believe the tutorial was one by Larry Jordan showing how you can change the interpolation by opening the disclosure triangle and showing how you can adjust the keyframes on opacity. It's the only setting you can actually do this on and the only key framing attribute that has no need for this kind of adjustment.

This may be the tutorial he was referring to. It's the last thing I ever read from LJ.
http://www.larryjordan.biz/fcpx-keyframes/

Return to posts index

Mark Landman
on Jan 12, 2015 at 3:47:15 am

Yes, that was one of them. Now that I think of it, I believe they all used the Opacity setting.
Apparently the person at Apple who designed this particular interface never actually had to use it. Just try adjusting the keyframes for something that is off screen at the keyframe. What a pain in the backside.

Mark Landman
PM Productions
Champaign, IL

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 12, 2015 at 3:52:45 am

It's the same basic interface resolve is using. Although Resolve alloys you to adjust and keyframe interpolation and bezier curves (something LJ seems to think are the same thing) on all aspects of animation, not just opacity.

I have no idea why Apple would even have these functions on opacity. But even stranger why they would ONLY have them on opacity. Even stranger is why folks would use opacity to demo them and not point out the above atrocities. If you read the comments in the article people are asking LJ a good number of questions about how you adjust interpolation of other aspects and he never quite comes up with an answer. He may have just copied and pasted this article without reading it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]