FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio duration in inspector

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Brown
Audio duration in inspector
on Jan 6, 2015 at 1:35:25 am

Why does the inspector show audio clip duration in the inspector in hundreds of a second? How is this applicable in a video editing application? Can you see frames based on the frame rate of the timeline (project) it's in? I hate doing math... ;)

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Audio duration in inspector
on Jan 6, 2015 at 1:43:37 am

I guess because you can move and trim audio to the hundredths of a second.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Jan 6, 2015 at 2:24:52 am

I understand that, but when in working in a 23.976 comp, all my references should be at that time base, no?

If I were inspecting out of the browser, sure. But once in a timeline, video editors don't work at hundredths...at least I don't, and I'm a video editor! ;) especially when you can select the time display in preferences...I clearly want frames. I've told the software that.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 6, 2015 at 2:33:42 am

I wouldn't use the inspector to check duration. Is that what you're doing? If you want the duration, select the item and either glance at the bottom of the main window where the duration is listed (standard duration), or press cmd+D where you can see the duration in the TC display and adjust it if needed.

And FWIW, I can't find where you're seeing this in the inspector. My inspector shows duration in a standard TC like duration. Top right of the audio inspector or the audio info panel. Either one shows standard duration. Screen shot?

Does that help?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 6, 2015 at 3:51:53 am

In prefs, choose to show tc by whole frame and not subframe.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jan 6, 2015 at 1:23:13 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Jan 6, 2015 at 1:50:22 pm

[Jason Brown] "video editors don't work at hundredths...at least I don't, and I'm a video editor! "

Disagree wholeheartedly. See the above (or below?).

[Jason Brown] "I clearly want frames. I've told the software that."

Sorry, but if you in fact have "Frames" selected in the prefs, then there's no way you'd be seeing the sub-frame TC in the info. So that can't be what you've "told the software". Set it to frames and that's what you'll see. Everywhere.

- RK

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Jan 8, 2015 at 1:55:08 am

OK, finally had some time to check this out.

First off, Bret - your response was the most helpful. The information I'm looking for is absolutely in the bottom of timeline window. I didn't know that, or see it and I feel foolish.

As for the other responses, Jeremy - I did have subframes turned off.

Also, I do agree that it is tremendously helpful to trim to the hundredth, or 80th or whatever...but was I was frustrated by was the inspector showing me those numbers. That time reference doesn't mean anything to me.

Bret - I was finding that information in the inspector...the difference in what you and I are looking at is that the clip I was inspecting did not have timecode associated with it, it was an audio only track. When you inspect an audio clip that's part of a video, it corresponds to the associated frame rate of the clip it's from. When you do the same with audio only, it defaults to some other rate...I haven't fully determined what that is, but it is different for audio only clips (with no timecode).

So basically, my "issue" is resolved...it was a user oversight and I'm now back to loving FCPX! ;)

Thanks guys!

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jan 6, 2015 at 1:16:48 pm

[Bret Williams] "I guess because you can move and trim audio to the hundredths of a second."

Actually, it's 1/80th of a frame. And it's something I need all the time, as does anyone that knows what a zero-crossing pop-issue is. That ability is utterly essential.

And yes, if it's so confusing, you can simply turn it off in the prefs as Jeremy describes.

- RK

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 7, 2015 at 7:23:52 pm

I don't keep the display set to 80ths, but yep, I use it all the time. When adjusting j/l cuts and of course lop sided cross fades. Yet another one of the reasons X is more professional than legacy.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jan 8, 2015 at 8:43:38 am
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Jan 8, 2015 at 10:26:13 am

[Bret Williams] "Yet another one of the reasons X is more professional than legacy."

Only that the exact same was also possible in FCP < X also.

- RK

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jan 8, 2015 at 10:27:15 am

Have to be more careful when using the ">" apparently... :)

- RK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]