FORUMS: list search recent posts

What is this button? And how did it get there? (FCPX DVD Menu)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Taylor
What is this button? And how did it get there? (FCPX DVD Menu)
on Jan 5, 2015 at 10:45:37 pm

Trying to figure out what this is? It doesn't always appear in my DVD's that I share from FCPX. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: What is this button? And how did it get there? (FCPX DVD Menu)
on Jan 6, 2015 at 3:15:38 am

Subtitles on/off?

Return to posts index

James Taylor
on Jan 6, 2015 at 3:21:42 am

That's what I was thinking, but I didn't do any subtitles. And I don't see any way to select that for the DVD. What would cause it to show up? Why on some of my videos, but not others?

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jan 6, 2015 at 2:02:31 pm

It's for subtitles/closed captions, yes. It's (nearly) the exact same symbol you see in the Apple DVD Player for subs and CCs btw. A dead giveaway. And since you can't actually (officially) make subtitles/CCs in FCP for DVDs, it'll obviously never be active. It's merely a "leftover" GUI item from days past that is grouped with the chapter button. So any DVD with chapters will have that (useless) button also. Nothing spectacular, just laziness. :)

- RK

Return to posts index

James Taylor
on Jan 7, 2015 at 2:10:19 am

Robin,

Thanks for the info. That prompted me to do some more testing. Looks like that little button IS active! When I turn in on, my chapter markers show up as sub titles!!! That must be a bug? Here is a screen shot:

Return to posts index

Matt Galuszewski
on Jan 7, 2015 at 6:33:30 am

James,

When using the SHARE menu to create a DVD there is a check box under the SETTINGS tab which allows you to include chapter marker text as subtitles.

If you left this checked then you are experiencing the correct behaviour so I wouldn't call it a bug.

Page 448 of the manual.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1666/en_US/final_cut_pro_x-10....

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jan 7, 2015 at 10:37:18 am
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Jan 7, 2015 at 10:39:04 am

[Matt Galuszewski] "When using the SHARE menu to create a DVD there is a check box under the SETTINGS tab which allows you to include chapter marker text as subtitles."

Doh! I forgot about that. The SugarFX Subtitles plugin actually uses this (quite brilliantly), yes. My bad. :-P

Return to posts index

James Taylor
on Jan 7, 2015 at 3:30:42 pm

Matt,

Thanks! I should have realized that. I thought that box needed to be selected for the chapter markers to appear in the DVD. Should have read it closer. Looks like the chapter markers appear in the DVD automatically.

JT

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jan 7, 2015 at 4:10:27 pm

[James Taylor] "Looks like the chapter markers appear in the DVD automatically."

If exporting directly to DVD/BD from FCP, yes. Otherwise, with other export formats, no. Not without the respective checkbox in the (then different) settings panel.

- RK

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 7, 2015 at 9:37:52 pm

There's only two ways to make a DVD that looks that way and the settings panels are the same and both create chapters just fine. Either from Compressor or FCP X directly.

And as others have pointed out, subtitles work too.

And as you pointed out you haven't made a DVD or other optical media in your shop for 5 years. Why are you on this thread again? :)

JK

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jan 8, 2015 at 8:28:56 am

[Bret Williams] "There's only two ways to make a DVD that looks that way and the settings panels are the same and both create chapters just fine."

Never mind that I wrote "with other export formats", IOW H.264, ProRes et al. NOT to DVD. In which case the settings panel IS different, sorry. And in that case you have to explicitly activate embedding of chapters, as opposed to when outputting directly to DVD/BD.

- RK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]