FORUMS: list search recent posts

Huge Folder size discrepancy between 10.1 Managed and 10.0.9

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
shawn convey
Huge Folder size discrepancy between 10.1 Managed and 10.0.9
on Jan 5, 2015 at 2:41:17 am

I sure do Hope that someone can help me out with this.
I don't want to make any mistakes that would result in Data loss.

I have all my media for a large project I am working on on a Drobo 5D.
The Drobo has a total Max usable space of 16TB. (5 Drives each 4TB in size)

When FCPX 10.1 came out I upgraded and "saved" my old library. (Just in case)
Once the "upgrade" was complete there were two different directories on my DROBO there was:

"DROBO Old Final Cut Projects and Events" (which has a "normal" folder structure) &
"DROBO Final Cut Projects and Events" (which had the "contained / managed structure)

Shortly after I "upgraded" something happened and all my subtitles (all of the footage was subtitled... all 300 hrs) disappeared...
After about 3 hrs of freaking out I quickly discovered that the subs and all my old project files were still ok in the old (just in case) directory and all I needed to do to keep working was go back to use 10.0.9 which is what I have been doing.

However Now I have very little space on my DROBO and I want to get rid of the "newer" and unused "DROBO Final Cut Projects and Events" folder (which now shows up as a normal folder / directory as I no longer have 10.1 installed)

And here comes the QUESTION:
The numbers don't add up.... the new Folder (the one I want to DELETE for 10.1) claims a size of 8.06TB (on "10.1 FCP P&E")
and the old folder that I want to SAVE claims a Size of 10.79TB (on "old FCP P&E").
In addition to those folders I have an additional 3.5TB of other files outside of those directories...

OK so it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the "used" space on my Drobo according to my finder is 22.35TB which is already impossibly large as I simply do not have that space on the drive... So when I look into the new directory (the one I want to delete) all the files appear to be "real" and not aliases which was the first thing I thought may be the issue (something funny where it was counting the file twice...)

Anyway I just really want to DELETE that "new 10.1" directory however not at the cost of messing up my perfectly good 10.0.9 workflow.
Please advise.
thanks!

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)
terraform

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Huge Folder size discrepancy between 10.1 Managed and 10.0.9
on Jan 5, 2015 at 10:08:33 pm

I'd take a good careful read into:

http://macs.about.com/od/faq1/f/What-Are-Aliases-Symbolic-Links-And-Hard-Li...

and

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202633

Some of those files are likely sym-links and some of them are the original media so you have to be very careful which ones you actually delete. If it were me and this were important enough I'd consider backing it all off to another hard drive before doing anything just to play it safe.

And you should definitely not stick at 10.0.9. There's way too many useful features in the newer versions of FCPX to limit yourself to that version. Especially in terms of Library management.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Huge Folder size discrepancy between 10.1 Managed and 10.0.9
on Jan 6, 2015 at 4:46:57 pm

This MacBreak Studio on hard links should also help shed some light:

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index