FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stopping FCPX From Copying Files Between Libraries - Possible?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
dexter8781
Stopping FCPX From Copying Files Between Libraries - Possible?
on Jan 8, 2014 at 12:45:52 am

I'm working with libraries on three external hard drives, two (A and B) of them just content upgraded events of organized footage while the third (P) is entirely for final project files. I am running into an issue where every time I put media in from A or B's libraries on to a timeline in a project that is saved on P it copies the raw (and proxy) files to P's hard drive rather than just referencing them off A and B.

Is is possible to tell FCPX to just link the file and not copy? I have way more footage than I thought and would rather not have to invest in a huge drive to replace P that can basically hold all of the data on both A and B. Any other workaround for this issue is great as well.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Stopping FCPX From Copying Files Between Libraries - Possible?
on Jan 8, 2014 at 3:00:43 am

Not for Proxy media, unfortunately. Please send feedback to Apple so that we can Consolidate Proxy and Optimized media out of the Library.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/finalcutpro.html

As far as the raw media, what is your raw media?

When you import media, you have the option to put the media either in the Library, or anywhere in an external drive.

Depending on what type of media, FCPX might have to rewrap to .mov, and at this point, the media becomes managed in to the Library, unless you choose to put it outside of the Library (called External). If your media is currently managed in to the Library, you can Consolidate it out of the Library and make it external media.

This only applies to "original" media and does not apply to Proxy and Optimized.

If all of your media is external and you copy from one Library to another, then the only thing that is copied is a very small symbolic link file (like an alias).

So, my suggestion would be to consolidate all of your Original Media out of the Libraries preferably one drive, and then when you do copy clips in between Libraries, FCPX will only copy very small symbolic links.

Unfortunately, you will have to keep Proxy files in each Library, or don't use them.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

dexter8781
on Jan 8, 2014 at 4:56:01 am

I will definitely hit up Apple about Proxy and optimized media. You are right, that's a must have.

Unfortunately, my experience going between libraries is that the whole file, not just an alias, is copied drive P when I take media from drives A and B and put it in a timeline saved on P. I would love just an alias, that's actually pretty much my goal here.

My files are already converted (via Clip Wrap) to be .mov and optimized for FCPX. They are, however, managed, in that they are stored inside the library file (this is what happened when I updated the drives to 10.1).

But if I read you correctly, if I use the consolidate media command, I can stick all of my media into storage in such a way that FCPX will not copy to drive P? Or will I have to completely rip them out via the Finder and make them all "external," there by losing all of my assistant editing on the pieces?

Very much appreciate your advice.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jan 8, 2014 at 6:01:29 am

[dexter8781] "But if I read you correctly, if I use the consolidate media command, I can stick all of my media into storage in such a way that FCPX will not copy to drive P"

Correct. Look up "consolidate projects, events, and libraries" in the FCP help viewer. Basically, you select a Library, choose "Consolidate Library Files" from the FCP File menu, select,(or create) a folder on the same drive as the Library if you want to keep it all where it is. (you could select another drive if you want to...) Wherever the folder is, FCP will move (not copy) all your source files to that folder. Once you've done this with all your media, make sure that the Media Storage preference is set to leave files in place, and then the only thing that'll get copied between libraries is symlinks (and any proxy media if you have it)

Pretty easy, just read the instructions careful first, and maybe make a little test library to try it on if you want. Works well though. :-) In my experience, X works more efficiently on more complex projects using External Media. Libraries local, media external. YMMV...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

dexter8781
on Jan 8, 2014 at 3:32:28 pm

Thanks Charlie and Jeremy! This is a life saver! Slightly more work than I would like, but I'll do it to manage my files properly and stop FCP X from making a bunch of copies of data.

Just gave it a shot with one event. Used the Consolidate Event Files command under the File menu and it worked! It asked me for a target location, so I put it in a folder outside the library file on the A drive. The organization in FCPX stayed the same, but when I put a clip from it in the timline saved on P it did not copy it to P. Used reveal in Finder on it to be sure and it brought up media in my consolidation test folder.

As a side note: I did it with a multicam clip to really give it a test and everything worked super well.

You guys are awesome. Really, really appreciate it!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 8, 2014 at 1:04:18 pm

[dexter8781] "But if I read you correctly, if I use the consolidate media command, I can stick all of my media into storage in such a way that FCPX will not copy to drive P? "

Charlie explained it.

Use the Consolidate command on the library and it will move the original media out of the bundle and in to the Finder.

It's very handy. It would be handy to be able to do this with Proxy and Optimized too. ;)

Jeremy

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jan 8, 2014 at 12:11:07 pm

Hi Jeremy

I'm trying to understand this problem better.

when you say Not for Proxy media, unfortunately. "Please send feedback to Apple so that we can Consolidate Proxy and Optimized media out of the Library." I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Do you man you would like to be able to have sym links instead of hard copies in Libraries? At the moment I think it's quite simple. Sym links from managed external files and stuff in Libraries is the real file.

I may have understood this problem wrong but what would be the advantage of the workflow you suggest please?

cheers

James

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 8, 2014 at 1:15:13 pm

[James Ewart] "when you say Not for Proxy media, unfortunately. "Please send feedback to Apple so that we can Consolidate Proxy and Optimized media out of the Library." I'm not sure I understand what you mean."

Lefts say you have two people working on the same media on the same network.

One person gets everything setup in terms of organization, making multicam proxies, optimizing media for better performance, Etc.

Now the other person wants to start editing their own copy of a Library.

The way Apple wants you to work is that everyone generates their own copy of Proxy or Optimized media.

In the case of optimized media, this could be a sizable cost in terms of file size and duplication, not to mention, CPU time to make multiple sets of Optimized and Proxy media.

Why not do it once for everyone, and be able to Consolidate that media out of the Library for everyone to use?

Or in the case of Dexter's original post, being able to use one set of Proxy/Optimized media across several local drives and libraries.

Make sense?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jan 8, 2014 at 6:37:16 pm

Okay....I think get it Jeremy thanks.

Still a bit above my head possibly working on on own bubble world

...but if in the first instance the Media was placed externally (as managed Media) and all that existed in the Library were Sym links (or whatever they used to be called) would that not solve the problem?

Are we talking sorting things out "after" in which case can the files not be copied to external drives and then used that way.

sorry if I am being obtuse.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 9, 2014 at 6:45:43 pm

[James Ewart] "...but if in the first instance the Media was placed externally (as managed Media) and all that existed in the Library were Sym links (or whatever they used to be called) would that not solve the problem?"

It would. But you can't do this with Proxy or Optimized media and that is the problem we are discussing.

FCPX always wants to have Proxy and Optimized media inside of the Library, and there's no way to get it out using the FCPX software like there is with Original Media.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jan 9, 2014 at 7:24:57 pm

Okay thanks for bearing with me on this. But why would you want to? Just so long as it exports okay at the end of the cut does it matter?

I'm obviously being thick.

Best

James

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 9, 2014 at 7:28:41 pm

[James Ewart] "Okay thanks for bearing with me on this. But why would you want to? Just so long as it exports okay at the end of the cut does it matter?"

I talked about it earlier.

In a shared environemnt, I wouldn't have to make multiple copies of Proxy and Optimized media in every Library, rather, I can use ONE copy in many Libraries.

Currently, the Proxy and Optimized media can not be consolidated out of a Library.

For single users that have Libraries across multiple attached drives and they need to move media to different Libraries they could have ONE copy of Proxy and Optimized instead of a copy in every Library.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jan 10, 2014 at 7:46:41 am

In which case does it not make sense to always use externally managed media even if the folder is on the same drive as the Library and have original, optimised and proxy lies in that with just Sym link files in Libraries at all times?
But then I ask myself war is the point of having proxy files as "externally" managed media anyway? Do you still get faster performance even though they are nay linked files?

best

James

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 10, 2014 at 1:12:54 pm

[James Ewart] "In which case does it not make sense to always use externally managed media even if the folder is on the same drive as the Library and have original, optimized and proxy lies in that with just Sym link files in Libraries at all times?"

I think we may be misunderstand each other.

You can't sym link Proxy and Optimized file easily. This is the whole problem we have been discussing.

[James Ewart] "But then I ask myself war is the point of having proxy files as "externally" managed media anyway? Do you still get faster performance even though they are nay linked files?"

It depends on what work you do, but Proxy files are certainly faster, yes, especially with high resolution multi cam.

When using LongGOP media, Optimized files (ProRes) yields better performance.

It might not make sense for everyone, but it would be great for us if we could have external Proxy and Optimized files that everyone can use, instead of wasting time making a who new set of Proxy or Optimized per Library.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jan 10, 2014 at 7:33:55 pm

thanks I am still out of my depth with this. got some Ripple tutorials to go...will digest them before asking more dumb questions.

Return to posts index

Hans Douma
on Aug 30, 2014 at 10:33:32 am

At the moment I am transferring all my tape recordings to FCPX into a media library. My intention is to apply keywords and notes to all clips to make it easier to find clips when creating a project. I'd rather not create the projects in the media library. What I read from this thread is that creating external files (rather than an FCPX managed library) is the preferred way to allow aliases to be used in projects. If I would consolidate my media library to create these external files, will the keywords be copied as well or do I lose everything except the clips ? Can I apply keywords to externally managed clips ?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 3, 2014 at 11:04:25 pm

[Hans Douma] " If I would consolidate my media library to create these external files, will the keywords be copied as well or do I lose everything except the clips ? Can I apply keywords to externally managed clips ?"

Sorry for the late response, but you can drag key worded clips from one Library to another. The keywords do not live with the actual files on disk, so if you need to transfer keywords, use FCPX to make new libraries, or use XML.

In your main library, open the keyword collection, select the clips you'd like to drag to the new library, and then drag those clips to the new library. the external files remain external, the keyword collection and files appear in the new library.

If the files are managed (inside the library), a new copy of the media will be placed in the new library. This is why external media works best in these situations.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Hans Douma
on Dec 29, 2014 at 4:13:27 pm

This is just to share some experience with externally managed files.

The principal is working fine, but I am running into serious performance problems when using AVCHD video (MTS files). FCPX will apparently read all the footage over and over again when events are browsed or when the library level is selected instead of an event in that library. I have my HD footage organized in a single library using links to the actual files. Over time, the number of events in that library will grow and so will the time needed to select all footage in the library. (This may be necessary if I want to select footage based on a keyword selection). It will now take minutes before FCPX has processed all events. Also editing from a single event will take ages. So you will have to make a trade off between bad performance/limited space requirements on one hand (with externally managed files) and reasonable performance but a huge space requirement on the other hand (with native library footage)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]